Public Relations and Communications Intern
Experience an immersive, hands-on, paid internship working with seasoned public relations and communications professionals to elevate the CarMax brand by helping plan media campaigns, pitch news media, plan events, conduct research, write feature stories, and much more.
CarMax was founded more than 20 years ago to fundamentally change the way car buying is done. Integrity, respect, and honesty are at the core of our culture. We have been named one of FORTUNE magazine's "100 Best Companies to Work For" for 13 years in a row and currently have more than 175 CarMax store locations across the country. Our unique culture, development opportunities, company growth, and community giving programs are just a few of the reasons people join the CarMax team.
The public relations and communications intern will work cross functionally with the public relations, internal communications, and community relations teams.
This position will work on the following projects:
Public relations (45%)
- Conducting proactive local and national media outreach
- Supporting the public relations team with interviews between CarMax experts and news reporters by conducting research and drafting talking points
- Monitoring CarMax news mentions and industry news
- Researching media event planners for grand opening events
- Researching and securing local VIPs for grand opening events (local officials, chambers, etc.)
- Completing administrative duties to ensure successful events
Internal communications (45%)
- Participating in content planning sessions, conducting associate interviews, and writing feature stories and associate profiles for the CarMax intranet or other communications channels
- Providing support during transition of internal communications processes to Microsoft Office365
- Providing support during transition of intranet to SharePoint
- Participating in taping of bi-monthly internal news video and other videos produced by Internal Communications
Community relations (10%)
- Conducting research on awards and speaking opportunities
- Additional support as needed for special projects
- Fall semester 2017
- 25 to 30 hours per week
- Minimum of 12 weeks required
The CarMax Public Relations and Communications Intern will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Ability to work well with others in the workplace
- Diligence in completing tasks
- Ability to make sound judgments
- Dependability in terms of attendance, meeting deadlines and punctuality
- Ability to learn quickly
- Technology proficiency
- Strong written and verbal communication
- One-page letter explaining why you are interested in PR/Communications with CarMax
Candidates must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top