The Product Designer is responsible for translating complex consumer and business needs into simple and elegant user experiences for CarMax's digital properties that are industry-leading and brand-defining. He/she will drive collaboration, develop solutions and make recommendations based on user research and industry best practices to translate business strategies into world class online experiences that are grounded in consumer truths. In partnership with Product, Strategy and Engineering, he/she will be thoughtful, efficient and highly engaged; providing creative methods of interpreting customer perspectives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Create intuitive and elegant product design solutions that solve complex consumer problems and drive business results
- Communicate solutions to your product team in a manner that simplifies complexity and generates excitement
- Participate in user experience research to understand consumer needs, opportunities and pain points to continually inform an iterative design and discovery process
- Collect and synthesize qualitative and quantitative research to inform and validate design decisions
- Collaborate and partner with Product Managers, Designers, Analysts and Developers throughout the discovery, design and development process
- Create visual artifacts to articulate, inform and validate ideas with consumers and stakeholders (prototypes, wireframes, sketches, journey maps, personas, etc.)
- Create detailed design deliverables utilizing and contributing to the CarMax design language system and pattern library
- Stay current on all the tools, principles and practices in product design, prototyping and development, and drive for continuous improvement
- Participate in meetings and brainstorming sessions that are organized and productive
- Advocate for high standards of excellence in providing delightful and rewarding user experiences, and proactively support the team in achieving them
- Experience devising and designing high-quality consumer products (web or mobile) in collaboration with product management and engineering partners.
- Passion for technology and design, and the drive to stay on top of industry trends and best practices
- Persuasive communicator - able to explain complex or intangible concepts to stakeholders at all levels
- Good listener - weighs input from multiple perspectives when forming opinions and recommendations
- Collaborative and team oriented work approach
- Solid understanding of user-centered design processes and ability to balance customer needs with business goals and metrics in developing solutions
- Experience with brainstorming techniques and getting consensus among a large, diverse group of stakeholders
- Experience leveraging user research and the ability to clearly articulate your design decisions and what problems they're solving
- Solid Product Design principles and deliverables, including rapid prototyping, journey maps, detailed flows, and pattern libraries etc.
- Ability to convert ideas quickly into design artifacts
- Strong critical thinking and analysis skills
- Experience designing and prototyping native app and web solutions for a range of screen sizes/resolutions: mobile, tablet, desktop, etc.
- Experience with Agile development processes
- E-commerce experience a plus
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 1-3 years experience within the fields of product, interaction and visual design/development
- BA/BS degree
- Portfolio or work samples showcasing product design prowess, creativity, and depth of thought coupled with fluency in best practices for Interaction Design, Visual Design, Prototyping and Front End Development
- Have an advanced understanding of:
- mobile technology
- web technology
- design principles
- prototyping methods and tools
- user-centered design process
- presentation methods
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top