Manager - Pricing Systems
CarMax is looking for experienced data engineers who are looking to enhance their technical and leadership skills and extend an analytics-based competitive advantage at a fast growing FORTUNE®: 500 company. With a high-caliber team focused on the company’s industry-leading analytics capabilities, our Strategy Group offers plenty of room for you to learn and grow.
CarMax’s unique proprietary data plays a key role in driving our success as a business. Last year alone, CarMax sold more than 1 million vehicles (including over 600k retail vehicles) and appraised over 2 million vehicles. Since inception we’ve sold over 10 million vehicles and appraised over 20 million vehicles. With an average car having about 20 options, that means we have around a half a billion data points just on options alone. Not only that, but we collect a vast amount of data on vehicles and customer interactions on carmax.com, in our stores, as well as from other industry data sources. You get the idea! We love our data, and if you are like us, you will love it too!
Our pricing and inventory models provide a huge competitive advantage by unleashing the potential of our data. CarMax’s pricing must accurately value the unique characteristics of each individual car that we buy or sell – from the high-mileage family sedan in Omaha to the fully loaded red convertible in San Diego. Our pricing must also address the company’s expanding national footprint and be dynamic enough to respond to constantly changing consumer demand, wholesale auction supply, and other market conditions that are often regionally differentiated.
CarMax heavily relies on its pricing & inventory systems team to leverage these models to support $100 million in weekly auto auction spend and optimize retail prices and inventory allocation across 150+ stores. In order to realize the full value of our models, our systems experts must deliver thousands of recommendations to our field associates accurately and instantaneously, every single day. This requires the combination of a deep understanding of the models, the technical skill to deploy new models as robust and stable systems, and the results focus and analytical ability to quickly diagnose and fix problems as they arise.
Whether in a technical expert or supervisory role, a successful Manager candidate will:
- Collaborate with statistical modeling experts to rapidly deploy newly developed models
- Analyze and/or supervise analysis performed by others on vast amounts of complex pricing-related data to assess and enhance model performance, data integrity, and system reliability
- Partner with Strategy team, IT, and internal customers to create process for identifying and fixing system issues
- Research innovations and best practices related to data science techniques and processing large data sets
- Encourage, challenge, and influence others within the Strategy group, IT, and other departments in the development of our data technology roadmap
- Communicate how our systems work to different audiences, both at a general level and a detailed level
- Assess the methodologies and processes used to develop and manage models, identifying potential weaknesses and the associated materiality of the risk
- Help recruit and enhance analytical talent across CarMax’s Strategy Group
What are some of the unique benefits of the job?
- Ability to apply your passion for data and technology to drive highly business-critical decisions
- Focus on professional development. In our Strategy Group, your development is as important as your work. Our leaders are heavily invested in helping managers hone their technical, communication, leadership, and other skills.
- Great, close knit team. The broader Strategy Group at CarMax consists of 100+ analysts with stellar work and academic backgrounds spanning from economics, math, and engineering to political science and creative writing, contributing to our collaborative and fun atmosphere.
- Great place to work. We’re proud to be one of FORTUNE®::‘s “100 Best Companies to Work For” 12 years in a row. In addition to comprehensive benefits, we have a fun and casual environment with perks like flexible vacation and an on-campus fitness center where we hold our group’s annual Analyst Games competition.
- Work/life balance. We work hard, but enjoy very reasonable hours. Our jobs are a healthy part of a great life.
- Successful growth company. CarMax has revolutionized the auto industry by making car buying easy. As the nation’s largest retailer of used cars, we have over 150 stores in 75+ markets, $14 billion in annual sales, and overwhelmingly positive feedback from our customers. But the biggest opportunities lie ahead: we hold only a 3% share of the late-model used car market, allowing room for exponential growth.
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
- 4+ years of experience in data science and/or systems development
- Strong technical skills and a passion for using analytics and production systems to make business decisions
- Demonstrated ability to explain novel and standard modeling methods, both to fellow analysts and other colleagues
- Ability to explore newer open source big data technologies like Hadoop, cloud etc.
- Experience managing team-based projects and delivering timely results
- Strong influencing skills, which are applied effectively at all levels of an organization and across multiple functions
- Record of building and maintaining strong working relationships
- Undergraduate degree in a quantitative discipline (math, statistics, operations research, economics, physics, engineering, computer science, etc.)
- Desire to develop into a strong technical leader and/or people manager
- Experience using SQL and Python to analyze big data sets a plus
- Graduate degree in data science, computer science or related field a plus
Back to top