Manager, Data Science
- Richmond, VA
8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About this job
It's an exciting time at CarMax! After decades of success and a rise to becoming the largest used car retailer in the US, CarMax is focused on disrupting the auto industry once again through our transformation to a leading omni-channel retailer. To achieve this goal, CarMax has spent the last few years investing heavily in modernizing our digital and analytical infrastructure to support our customer-centric experience as the customer shopping journey continues to evolve online. We're stitching data science throughout our business to drive a great customer experience and optimize our operations.
As a Data Science Manager at CarMax, you'll apply your passion and expertise for data, machine learning, predictive analytics, and entrepreneurship to create data-powered products that enrich CarMax's culture of innovation. You will be a leader in the analytic community - advancing the use of data science in high impact areas of our business.
With millions of customer interactions every day, you'll be tapping the industry's best data to develop new algorithms and capabilities to acquire quality customers for CarMax and to enhance how those customers navigate their car buying journey.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
- Build and enhance algorithms that enable iconic personalized experiences for our customers:
- Employ a deep command of data science modeling techniques and statistics, leveraging a variety of technologies, open-source languages, and cloud computing platforms
- Apply expertise in model design, training, evaluation, and implementation
- Unlock insights by analyzing large amounts of complex proprietary customer, website, and transactional data
- Identify, prioritize, and design testing opportunities that will inform algorithm enhancements
- Partner with cross-functional teams -- eg Product, Operations, Strategy, Data Engineering, to:
- Create new use cases for data-powered products
- Develop and implement tools that enhance the Customer Experience, the Associate Experience, and our Marketing Acquisitions strategies
- Communicate with all levels throughout the organization to understand the business opportunities, explain the models, tell impactful data-driven stories, and influence change
- Collaborate within the team to deliver high quality analytics, share best practices, and help each other learn and grow
Qualifications and Requirements
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Advanced Degree (Master's/Ph.D.) in quantitative discipline (Statistics, Math, Data Science, Engineering) is preferred
- 3+ years of experience in the following areas:
- R, Python, Scala, or other languages appropriate for large scale analysis of numerical and textual data
- Data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools and underlying algorithms
- Data Lake and cloud computing fundamentals
- Strong analytical curiosity and passion for applying advanced modeling techniques in problem solving
- Sound analytical thinker with a proven track record of providing actionable insights and clear strategic direction
- Ability to convey complex, technical subject matter in a clear and straightforward manner; demonstrated ability to effectively communicate through written and oral presentations with all levels of the organization
- Solid project management skills with the ability to juggle multiple priorities simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to train and mentor others
- Experience in Recommender Systems, Search Algorithms, or operationalizing performant algorithms for website integration is a plus
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.
Back to top