Manager - Corporate Strategy
Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry with a pledge to bring honesty and integrity to the process of buying and selling cars. Today, CarMax is the undisputed market leader in a $500B+ industry, and remains at the forefront of disruption and innovation - with best-in-class financial performance, customer satisfaction, and Associate engagement.
The Manager of Corporate Strategy will play a key role in defining and shaping the next wave of CarMax innovation. This role will work closely with our Customer Experience product teams - helping to create new products, test their impact, improve their functionality and ultimately build the strategy for enterprise-wide deployment.
In doing so, the Manager of Corporate Strategy will work closely with Product Teams, Product Leadership, and top executives from across the company. To be successful in this role, ideal candidates will need to have strong analytical skills and strategic thinking, as well as a deep understanding of industry and competitive dynamics.
This position provides a strategic thinker, possessing strong analytical and management skills, the opportunity to play a leadership role in driving the strategy that will shape the future of a Fortune 500 retailer.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THIS ROLE?
Specific responsibilities for the role include:
Working with the Director of Corporate Strategy and Product team leadership to help shape Product strategy - including overarching goals and success measurements for each new product
- Tracking the progress of each new product in development by:
- Defining the test plan
- Conducting test analysis
- Identifying opportunities to improve and enhance each product
- Helping determine when products are ready for market expansion
- Ensuring coordination of multiple new products in development by:
- Developing and maintaining a roadmap of new products in development
- Identifying interdependencies between tests
- Working with teams to determine proper sequencing of these tests
Periodically leading sessions to identify potential new products for development
- Providing broader support to the Corporate Strategy team, including:
- Monitoring industry and competitive trends and assessing their impact to CarMax
- Conducting or facilitating ad hoc research into special projects
- Assisting in the development of our long-range Strategic Plan
Support the EVP of Strategy & Business Transformation & the Director of Corporate Strategy to maintain a communications strategy to inform all executives on results from strategic initiatives as well as overall business performance
- Along with the Corporate Strategy team, provide CarMax with ongoing insights on industry and competitive dynamics
WHAT TYPE OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- Track record of strategic thinking and proven thought leadership
o Ability to convert high-level business objectives into concrete action plans and analytical tasks
o Ability to assimilate numerous qualitative and quantitative inputs in the face of ambiguity and drill down to a good decision
- Proven leadership and management skills
o Ability to develop and execute a plan with high degree of independence
o Ability to deliver great results while simultaneously managing several projects
o Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively, and manage your time to meet goals/objectives
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
o Ability to motivate and influence across all levels of the organization
o Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner through verbal and written methods
- Demonstrated success in analytical decision making
o Ability to apply business and technical knowledge to solve complex problems, produce results, and make recommendations
o Analytical curiosity and ability to flex between big picture strategic thinking and sharp attention to detail
- Passion for delivering results on large strategic initiatives
WHAT EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED TO HAVE?
- Undergraduate degree in a business or quantitative discipline with an excellent academic record; Graduate degree a plus but not required
- Four or more years of experience in an analytical role
- Experience with strategy formulation, articulation, and implementation
- Experience with advanced analytics and modeling preferred
- Computer skills: Excel, PowerPoint; SQL experience preferred
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top