Manager - Corporate Strategy
Over twenty years ago, CarMax disrupted the automotive industry and to this day remains the undisputed market leader in a $500B+ industry. With best-in-class financial performance, customer satisfaction, and Associate engagement, CarMax is well positioned for continued growth.
The Manager of Corporate Strategy will play a critical role in defining CarMax's strategy. The primary responsibilities are to successfully facilitate the strategic planning and implementation process, support exploratory venture analysis, and provide insight into the changing automotive environment. In doing this, the Manager of Corporate Strategy will work closely with top executives across the entire company. To be successful this person will need to have a deep understanding of broad industry and competitive dynamics, consumer trends, regulatory impacts, as well as CarMax's competitive advantages.
This position provides a strategic thinker, possessing strong analytical and management skills, the opportunity to play a leadership role in driving the strategy that will shape the future of a Fortune 500 retailer.
WHAT WILL YOU DO IN THIS ROLE?
Specific responsibilities for the role include:
1. Working with the Director of Corporate Strategy, facilitate the strategic planning process to establish company goals, define key strategies, & launch strategic initiatives; example tactics have included:
• Facilitate strategic off-sites with the Senior Team
• Lead future state scenario planning brainstorms with top executives
• Support the scoping, opportunity sizing, and feasibility studies of new initiatives
• Collaborate with FP&A to ensure the Strategic Plan will achieve all financial goals
2. Track progress against Strategic Plan goals and guide the process to evolve plans as appropriate
3. Assist the implementation of Strategic Initiatives by providing strategic support on key decisions and facilitating cross-functional alignment; previous examples have included:
• Early-stage strategy definition for new business ventures with strategic partners
• Support the testing and implementation of new concepts and products
• Establish governance models to enable stronger omni-channel planning
4. Monitor industry & competitive trends, assess their impact to CarMax, & enable CarMax to leverage these insights by publishing various reports or giving in-person updates
5. Periodically conduct or facilitate ad hoc research to support special projects within Corporate Strategy or the Change Leadership Team
6. Support the EVP of Strategy & Business Transformation & the Director of Corporate Strategy to maintain a communications strategy to inform all executives on results from strategic initiatives as well as overall business performance
7. Along with the Corporate Strategy team, provide CarMax with ongoing insights on industry and competitive dynamics
WHAT TYPE OF PERSON ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Track record of strategic thinking and proven thought leadership
o Ability to convert high-level business objectives into concrete action plans and analytical tasks
o Ability to assimilate numerous qualitative and quantitative inputs in the face of ambiguity and drill down to a good decision
• Proven leadership and management skills
o Ability to develop and execute a plan with high degree of independence
o Ability to deliver great results while simultaneously managing several projects
o Ability to organize and prioritize work effectively, and manage your time to meet goals/objectives
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
o Ability to motivate and influence across all levels of the organization
o Ability to communicate in a clear and concise manner through verbal and written methods
• Demonstrated success in analytical decision making
o Ability to apply business and technical knowledge to solve complex problems, produce results, and make recommendations
o Analytical curiosity and ability to flex between big picture strategic thinking and sharp attention to detail
• Passion for delivering results on large strategic initiatives
WHAT EDUCATION OR EXPERIENCE DO YOU NEED TO HAVE?
• Undergraduate degree in a business or quantitative discipline with an excellent academic record; Graduate degree a plus but not required
• Four or more years of experience in an analytical role
• Experience with strategy formulation, articulation, and implementation
• Experience with advanced analytics and modeling preferred
• Computer skills: Excel, PowerPoint; SQL experience preferred
Back to top