Manager - Accounting Policy
The Accounting Policy Manager will play a pivotal role in minimizing CarMax's risks related to accounting and disclosure compliance. The position will function as both an accounting policy and external reporting subject matter expert as well as a leader of cross-functional teams in close coordination with Financial Reporting, Tax, CarMax Auto Finance, Treasury, Investor Relations, Legal, Internal Audit and the company's external auditors.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES ON EACH DUTY
- Manage an accounting and reporting compliance process, to include identification and assessment of key risk areas, review of accounting and disclosure methodologies, and development and execution of detailed project plans to ensure compliance. Document key accounting & disclosure policies and decisions to ensure compliance with GAAP, SEC regulations and other guidance.
- Monitor the activities of standard-setting bodies (e.g., SEC, FASB, IASB). Lead, and/or have a key role in, cross-functional teams to research, evaluate and implement new accounting and disclosure requirements. Present guidance and recommendations to senior management on the impact of new or proposed requirements.
- Provide highly technical expertise in multiple areas of accounting, including independently performing research and documentation of complex technical accounting issues. Prepare documentation of key accounting policies and decisions to ensure compliance with GAAP, SEC regulations and other guidance, and present for senior management review.
- As the subject matter expert, provide advice and counsel to business partners on the technical accounting impact of business decisions related to new and ongoing business initiatives.
- Participate in the quarterly and annual external reporting cycle and advise the Financial Reporting team on disclosures, including industry best practices.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to motivate and influence across multiple levels of the organization and outside organizations, and willing to challenge upwards appropriately in the best interest of CarMax
- Ability to interpret and apply complex accounting and disclosure requirements to the CarMax business
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, including writing technical accounting memos and ability to discuss technical topics in non-technical terms with management, business partners, and external auditors
- Ability to articulate and discuss accounting positions with all levels of the organization and external advisors
- Ability to build and maintain strong relationships throughout the organization, and collaborate with other departments and teams
- Ability to prioritize and lead team to achieve long-term and short-term results
- Ability to develop, execute and adjust a plan with high degree of independence
- Exceptional results focus, including the ability to deliver on objectives and meet deadlines within project parameters
- Ability to develop and promote other associates for organizational needs
- Ability to understand latest industry trends and their potential impact for CarMax
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Four-year degree in Accounting and current Certified Public Accounting certificate.
- Seven or more years of experience in public accounting or accounting policy related field, including significant experience with large public companies, review of SEC filings and experience with US corporate tax law, tax provisions and related GAAP.
- Exceptional results focus, including project management and change management skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including writing technical accounting memos and ability to discuss technical topics in non-technical terms with senior management and external auditors.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top