Lead Software Developer
What we do:
Are you looking for the unique challenge of being the technical lead on a team working in an innovative product culture? Do you enjoy partnering closely with a dedicated team of business and technical experts to drive better experiences for our customers? Do you enjoy owning your own product that you dedicate your time to? If so, we have a challenge for you!
Who we are looking for:
We are looking for a Lead Developer to drive innovation in our Online Product Development space. You will work closely with digital marketing experts and other technologists to discover, test, design, develop, and execute on innovative experiences for our customers.
The primary responsibilities of this position revolve around being the technical leader, mentor, and innovator for a product that you and your team own. This includes but is not limited to working closely with your own product manager, UX expert, analyst, and development team to discover, test, and deliver in an dual track agile environment. You'll take ownership of the entire stack of software development related to the product that your team owns from check-in to production deployment, mentor junior developers through growth opportunities, and be part of a dedicated team that finds creative ways to give our customers new and innovative experiences.
Let's get under the hood! Here's the experience we're looking for:
What we would REALLY like: • Deep knowledge of Microsoft Azure • Experience with CI/CD Pipelines • Experience with Search technologies like Endeca, ElasticSearch or Solr • Experience with React, Angular or Vue.js
• Exposure to Sitecore or other content management systems • Ability to mentor junior developers to be the best they can be • Creative ideas and a passion for learning and discovering
Here's why we need this to be a Lead Developer:
The Lead Software Developer is responsible for preserving and promoting standard development practices within CarMax®::. This position requires effective communication and the ability to efficiently facilitate technical discussions between developers and business partners. Associates in this position are the day-to-day primary point of contact for technical questions and excel in identifying opportunities for associate development. Lead Software Developers are comfortable with their team's craft and have a passion for knowledge and experience in all of the languages and technologies within the applications they oversee. Leads are involved in the entire cycle of software, from ideation, through conception, UX, code, test, delivery, and over to support. Associates in this role are passionate in mentoring and are the teachers. This position reports to a Team Manager or Sr. Manager.
To be effective, you need:
• 8+ years of application development experience required
• 4 year degree in IT related course of study required
• Proven ability to influence the technical direction of others in order to successfully meet the business objectives of medium & large projects
• Proven ability to influence priorities for both business and team, as well as to influence decision makers and win trust
• Proven ability to mentor developers in best practices, procedures, and concepts
• Proven ability to drive through obstacles and time constraints to successfully deliver a project to completion
• Proven ability to scale applications managing performance and technical debt
• Expert understanding of all the business processes implemented in the team's applications and consistent ability to keep business objectives in focus
• The ability to understand business problem and the technical solution and be able to advocate for excellence and effect change when necessary
• Proven ability to drive efficient resolution for system outages as well as support an on-call rotation for day and nighttime incidents when necessary
If think this is you, let us know and apply! What are you waiting for?
See for yourself on why you should come work here: https://www.themuse.com/companies/carmax
Candidates must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis. Sponsorship will be not considered for this specific role.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top