Information Technology Intern
CarMax is unique. As the industry leader in selling used vehicles, we are a niche retailer enabled by technology. Our 300+ IT Associates leverage cutting edge mobile and cloud technologies in an Agile environment to further our disruption of the used car buying market.
- Have you ever wanted to work for an established company with a start-up mentality?
- Do you want to be able to put your mark on a rapidly growing Fortune 200 Company?
- Do you thrive in a collaborative and innovative work environment?
What is CarMax IT?
CarMax IT supports and delivers solutions for a rapidly growing business. We are hiring people who are interested in:
- Collaborating to solve original, wide-ranging, and open-ended business problems.
- Developing the business and technical skills for a rewarding career.
- Working in a fast paced, dynamic agile environment where innovation is key to our success.
- Delivering projects that enable the success of our Associates, engage an evolving consumer market, and solve complex and compelling business problems.
- Experiencing the CarMax culture and learn why we are one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For! for 13 consecutive years.
What roles are we hiring for?
- Developer - Exposure with System Development Life Cycle (SDLC) and programming languages.
- Cloud Engineer - Experience with or a desire to learn Microsoft Azure Public Cloud, PowerShell scripting, GitHub, Test Automation, and Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) technologies.
- Collaboration Technology Analyst - Experience with Active Directory (AD), SharePoint site collections, or any web-focused programming languages. Ability to work with general direction and little oversight; being comfortable in "white space" and knowing when to ask questions; Drive to craft and own deliverables based on business objectives.
- Database Analyst - Exposure to database systems administration and/or managing database scheme and data; ability to present one's thoughts and ideas in an organized manner.
- Security - Experience with networking, security, scripting languages and/or core OS; passion for learning.
Where will I work?
CarMax has two locations in Richmond Virginia, one of the top 10 "next tech towns".
- CarMax Shockoe - located in the epicenter of Richmond Virginia's Downtown Technology District, our passionate Digital IT and Marketing teams continue to innovate solutions to the ever-changing retail consumer landscape.
- Home Office in West Creek - sitting amongst tall trees, running trails, athletic field and on-site gym, lies the bustling nerve center of CarMax. In this modern building with its big windows and expansive views is the heart of our organization. It is here that one experiences the "associate first" culture that Drives What's Possible!
What makes the CarMax IT internship program unique?
During your eight-week internship, you will...
- Learn all about CarMax and our 3 lines of business as well the technologies and tools used to support them.
- Learn about our transformation strategy and roadmap.
- Work in a fast paced, dynamic agile environment where innovation is key to our success.
- Contribute to projects that enable the success of our associates, engage an evolving consumer market, and solve complex and compelling business problems.
- Visit CarMax stores to observe how IT systems help "Drive What's Possible." You'll be exposed to different business processes and learn how they are supported by CarMax IT.
- Gain a solid understanding of CarMax IT and how your contributions will have a direct and significant impact on the organization's ongoing success.
Skills to be utilized/experience to be gained:
- Technical - Opportunity to learn various languages, technologies, and tools.
- Project management - Exposure and experience with Agile project methodology.
- Communication - Participation in business customer meetings, design sessions, and construction of a formal presentation for senior management at the project conclusion.
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
- Passion for collaborating to solve original, wide-ranging, and open-ended business problems.
- Desire to design and implement information technology solutions.
- Passion for developing business and technical skills for a rewarding career.
- A rising junior or senior graduating in Winter 2018 - Spring 2020 in a 4-year degree program (Computer Science or Business Information Technology preferred).
- A history of achievement and aptitude demonstrated by a 3.0 GPA, and/or other recognition such as scholarships, awards, and honor societies.
Candidates must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top