Enterprise Network Architect
The CarMax Network Services team is critical to the transformation and operation of the CarMax application ecosystem. The Network Services team is relied on to maintain a secure, stable and scalable environment that can easily adapt to the emerging needs of all CarMax business initiatives. This team is critical to helping the CarMax organization drive the bottom line sales of a growing Fortune 500 company.
CarMax is seeking an Enterprise Network Architect to play a critical role in leading the strategy, definition, and realization of architecture and design within the CarMax organization. The successful candidate must be a thought leader in the network landscape and have a solid track record of execution and delivering results. The position is responsible for the overall technical design and build of the necessary network components for enterprise.
Day to Day Position Requirements:
- Expert understanding of technologies within their focus area
- Broad understanding of multiple technologies and of business processes
- Broad understanding of all aspects of technical software requirements including security, scalability, and usability
- Able to develop long term technology road maps
- Demonstrated ability to compare and contrast alternative approaches to meet objectives while assessing risk both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Able to effectively estimate time required for technical efforts for projects of all sizes
- Demonstrated communication skills to include but not limited to verbal and written communication, delivering organized presentations, able to tailor message to the audience, and facilitate group discussions with diplomacy and seek diverse opinions
- Able to build consensus and acceptance of development patterns, standards, and processes
- Able to influence the technical direction of others in order to drive all projects to successful completion within the architectural standards and guidance
- Able to courageously drive strategic initiatives and challenge upward and across the IT enterprise when necessary
- Proven ability to effectively communicate architectural standards and best practices
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills and performs well in high pressure or stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability in statistical analysis, advanced calculations, and reporting
- Ability to evaluate long term impacts when making recommendations and decisions.
- 10+ years of network engineering, implementation and support experience, required
Technical Position Requirements:
- IP routing protocols including RIP, BGP, OSPF, IP Multicast, MPLS
- IPv4 knowledge required and IPv6 knowledge a plus
- IP fundamentals including packet level analysis
- Network infrastructure including LAN, WAN, routing, switching, load-balancing, security.
- Network VPN protocols GRE, IPSEC, SSL, L2TP, PPTP, SSTP
- Network security including firewalls, proxies, ACL, IPSec, SSL/TLS, IPS/IDS
- Physical layer including Ethernet, SONET, T1/T3, FiberChannel.
- Application transport and network infrastructure protocols (SSL/TLS, DNS, DHCP, WINS, NTP, FTPs, HTTP, HTTPs, SMTP, SSH, LDAP, and Microsoft AD), and possess an understanding of how to support these applications / protocols when accessed through VPN and firewall appliances.
- WLAN support including RF fundamentals, design, and configuration, security management, troubleshooting and monitoring.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top