Director - Media Services
The Director of Media Services will lead a world class Media Services Center of Excellence that supports CarMax's marketing efforts by leveraging media strategies that build brand awareness and consideration for current and future customers as well as acquire current in-market shoppers. Managing CarMax's media budget of approximately $125 million, the Director will lead agency partners to develop media programs that maximize results for all CarMax markets and audience segments.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Manage Agencies, team and vendors:
- Manage the agency relationship and roadmap, overarching media strategy across all segments, operations and P&L.
- Provide strategic direction and oversight of media agencies during plan development to ensure work is on strategy, on time and on budget.
- Oversee research, development, and implementation of media plans.
- Oversee budgeting planning for media channels to assure allocation of resources will produce optimum results.
- Set quality standards for agency teams and monitor performance.
- Develop and motivate a group of 2-4 associates plus agency team members.
- Maintain key relationships with media vendors and develop breakthrough media opportunities.
Lead the creation of CarMax's media strategy, including brand awareness and acquisition:
- Oversee the development of CarMax's media strategy for national media, local media, digital, social, content and sponsorship strategies and execution.
- Partner with Marketing, Creative and Acquisition strategy teams to secure business input prior to media plan development.
- Understand primary and secondary target audience groups and their media consumption behaviors to lead media channel strategy allocations.
- Develop media programs that are innovative and effective at amplifying CarMax's brand position against key target audience groups.
- Develop media briefs for agency partners.
- Work with Marketing Advanced Analytics and Media Mix Modeling partners to gauge performance of media against KPI's for marketing objectives.
- Provide thought leadership in developing testing agendas and establishing campaign optimization goals.
Manage media program operations:
- Supervise the execution of media plans, including preparation of media budgets.
- Supervise campaign level budgets
- Review and approve all project work.
- Oversee the optimization of media programs to continually meet objectives.
- Summarize and report on state of media campaigns to key internal stakeholders.
- Supervise the collection of sourcing data for media mix modeling.
Establish long term media strategy:
- Deliver longer term vision by developing 3-year media roadmap with agency partners that is consumer and cross-channel focused.
- Drive test and learn opportunities.
- Identify technologies and data strategies that will improve performance, efficiency of buying segments and messaging consideration for media channel environments.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Experience with agency/client relations, either on the agency side or on the client side.
In-depth understanding of media principles, planning and buying functions and research.
Experience with all media forms (both national and local) and cross platform programs, including broadcast, digital, print, out-of-home
Knowledge of the digital marketing and advertising landscape, the unique technical aspects of the medium and their impact on the development and execution of media strategies.
Effectively builds strong relationships internally and with external partners
Experience fostering innovative solutions
- Deep understanding of media trends, staying current on latest technological advances
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 10+ years of relevant work experience, including 5+ years in media planning at an advertising agency or corporate in-house agency working on large, high profile accounts.
- A minimum of five (5) years of digital media planning/buying experience
- A minimum of five (5) years of prior staff management, development and mentoring experience
- Four year undergraduate degree in Marketing and/or Advertising
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top