8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
About this job
Disrupting the marketplace more than 25 years ago, CarMax became the largest used car retailer in the US. However, our goals as a company aren't just to be the best in the industry but a leading retailer across all industries.
Our pricing and inventory systems team work to accurately value the unique characteristics of each individual car that we buy or sell and allocate those vehicles across our 200+ stores. Last year alone, CarMax sold more than 1 million vehicles, appraised over 2 million vehicles, and had $150m in weekly auto auction spend - all while dealing with constantly changing consumer demand, wholesale auction supply, and other market conditions that are often regionally differentiated.
To realize the full value of our models, our systems experts must accurately and instantaneously deliver thousands of recommendations to our field associates daily. This requires the combination of a deep understanding of our models, the quantitative and technical skills to deploy new models as robust and stable systems, and the results focus and analytical ability to quickly diagnose and fix problems.
- Collaborate with our pricing algorithm modeling experts to rapidly deploy newly developed models
- Leverage strong computer science and software engineering skills to build software that: a) calculates the optimal value for each vehicle and b) serves as a data pipeline to field associates in seconds
- Develop and execute a management system that ensures the right value is put on every vehicle every day
- Ensure that new code deployments are stable and align with intent through unit testing
- Build automated monitoring and alert systems to ensure that production models are delivering intended values
- Quickly respond to and resolve pricing system issues
- Partner with CarMax Technology to evolve system infrastructure to support our business and data science needs
- Communicate how our systems work within and outside of the team, both at a general level and a detailed level
- Ability to consistently deliver at a high level on the responsibilities listed above
- Degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics, Statistics, or related field
- Mathematical, modeling, and reasoning skills to understand complex pricing models and deploy them accurately
- Computer programming skills to integrate new models into our existing framework
- Experience/familiarity with our exciting technology suite (Azure, Python, R, SQL, Teradata, etc.) and to explore new technologies to enhance our data science capabilities
- Strong communication and teamwork to deliver clear and consistent messaging
Due to COVID-19, most of our employees are working from home. We've implemented a virtual hiring process and continue to interview candidates by phone or video. We value the safety of each member of our community because we know we're all in this together.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.