Customer Experience Strategy Manager
The Customer Experience Strategy Manager plays a critical role in leading CarMax's customer experience evolution and is accountable for driving meaningful change to the CarMax experience across channels and throughout the customer lifecycle.
The Manager of Customer Experience Strategy is a boundary-less leader with the ability to excel at working cross functionally and across all levels of the organization, up to senior Company executives, with proven experience driving results through influence. They should possess strong knowledge of company functions, initiatives, and performance and demonstrate domain knowledge of and expertise in a range of disciplines, such as consumer insights/marketing research, brand strategy, digital strategy, experience design, continuous improvement and change management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Identify opportunities to repair, enhance and innovate experiences central to delivering upon CarMax's brand vision
- Analyze and prioritize customer segments, journeys and opportunity areas for optimization and innovation based on quantitative and qualitative data
- Leverage a strong understanding of consumer trends, technology trends, competitive experiences and retail best-in-class experiences to shape strategy
- Develop business cases and compelling research artifacts to influence prioritization of critical opportunities
- Provide strategic guidance across projects, including consideration of the overarching customer experience
- Create a consistent and shared understanding of our customers
- Lead the development of customer research, personas and journey maps to highlight pain points and opportunities
- Define consistent customer experience measurement practices to understand the current state
- Develop training and communications to increase awareness and knowledge
- Provide regular updates on performance to sr. leadership in a variety of settings
- Build an organizational competence to execute upon and manage the CarMax experience in a proactive and disciplined way
- Create hiring practices, incentives and rituals that promote a customer-focused culture
- Establish practices to manage associates to deliver upon customer experience standards
- Continuously seek out and share the latest customer experience best practices
- Stay abreast of emerging consumer trends and best-in-class customer experiences, external and internal
- Bring insights and learning opportunities into the marketing and store teams to aid in associate development
Comprehensive understanding of the customer experience ecosystem and how digital and analog experiences work together. Understanding of the role that brand and experience play in marketing strategy
Familiarity with consumer insight and marketing research methodologies, with the ability to apply quantitative and qualitative approaches to understanding our customer and internalize strategic implications
Excellent oral and written communication skills including the ability to communicate effectively with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
Organizational, planning and project management skills and ability to effectively manage cross-functional projects
Detail-oriented and comfortable with a fast-paced, structured, retail environment
- Strategic, cross-functional thinker able to gather buy-in from leadership for ideas and projects
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 5+ years of relevant work experience in a related field (e.g., customer experience strategy, consumer insights, business or brand strategy)
- Four-year undergraduate degree with exceptional academic performance
- MBA not required, but preferred
- Internal candidates should have successfully completed Sr. MAP
- Exceptional verbal, written, and listening skills are needed to (a) effectively lead cross functional teams, (b) listen and understand conflicting points of view on complex matters, (c) navigate through potential contentious situations that periodically occur in cross-functional and change-driving initiatives, and (d) communicate complex ideas, business cases and rationale.
- Strong math, analytical and reasoning skills are required.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top