Collections Specialist II
Join CarMax Auto Finance's Specialty Collections Group!
CarMax has been a Fortune "100 Best Companies to Work For since 2005", ranked 5TH of Atlanta's top 25 large companies in 2016, and Training magazine's "Top 125 Training Companies" since 2008. Our culture is built upon the values of respect, integrity and transparency, and we live these values every day in how we treat our Customers and our Associates.
- ALTERNATIVE SERVICING: Advise customers of the status of their accounts, the ramifications of past due status, and influence customers to make payments to cure their delinquency
- HIGH RISK: Receive and/or make outbound collection calls to customers who have accounts with CarMax Auto Finance that are past due up to charge off.
- RECOVERY: Receive and/or make outbound collection calls to customers who have accounts with CarMax Auto Finance to make payments/cure outstanding past due balances on their account or surrender vehicle
- REMARKETING: Coordinate sales of repossessed vehicles and perform skip trace work
- REPOSESSION: Initiate repossessions with external vendors and perform skip trace work
- RETENTION: Negotiate creative solutions to allow the customer to redeem or retain their vehicle. (ie. educate customers on reinstatement and sale processes, facilitate reinstatements/redemptions, coordinate buy-backs or trade-in's, alternate financing solutions, extensions, etc..)
- SKIP TRACE: Utilize credit bureau reports and 3rd party databases to research & validate customer account information. Report management & tracking of skip/collection activities.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Place outbound collection calls and/or take incoming customer inquiry calls.
- Negotiate and influence customers to make payments on past due accounts.
- Answer customer questions regarding their account.
- Advise customers of the status of their account.
- Verify customer information on account and update any changes using computer.
- Educate customers regarding their account, interest accruals, late fees, credit reporting, payment options and account management options.
- Annotate accounts in computer system to document all interactions with the customer.
- Process customer payments via computer, when necessary.
- Collect payments on special project accounts (insurance, no repossession state, etc.)
- Partner with other departments, when necessary, to resolve customer questions and issues.
- Review vendor invoices for accuracy and submit to supervisor for approval.
- Maintain various department reports.
- Multi-task in a high energy and fast-paced work environment.
- 6-12 months later stage collections experience
- Microsoft Office experience
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Tolerate stressful interactions with customers.
- Basic typing skills including minimum speed and accuracy requirements.
- Understand and adhere to company policies and procedures.
- Speak and listen effectively in dealing with customer and stores.
- Use a variety of communication techniques to convince the customer to make a payment.
- Effectively negotiate during tense situations.
- Execute moderate math skills.
- Great work-life balance, community involvement, team engagement events, on-site gym...etc.
- Not a suit & tie environment, think jeans and sneakers.
- Flexible work hours with shifts that include days, evenings, and weekends.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top