Class A (CDL) Commercial Truck Driver
- Hickory, NC
7231 - Hickory - 1935 15th Avenue Pl SE, Hickory, North Carolina, 28602
CarMax, the way your career should be!
The Fleet Driver in Training is responsible for the safe and secure transportation of CarMax vehicles to and from CarMax locations under the supervision of a Senior Fleet Driver and Purchasing Manager. The Fleet Driver in Training will work with the Senior Fleet Driver and learn how to operate CarMax transportation equipment safely, while partnering with store leadership within their logistics area to ensure transportation needs are fulfilled.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- The FDIT will complete a 90+ day program of training to develop proficiencies in all aspects of CarMax transportation, including but not limited to:
- The safe operation of CarMax's commercial motor vehicles to transport company property for sale or to otherwise further CarMax business interests.
- Efficiently and accurately complete the Daily Vehicle Inspection Reports (DVIR)
- A wide range of securing techniques of loads on company-supplied equipment (hydraulic-operated trailer) for loading and off-loading company supplied assets for transportation
- Staging of vehicles
- Producing appropriate documentation (bill of lading) to support all transportation moves
- Use of electronic logging device to maintain logs and ensure proper compliance with Department of Transportation(DoT) rules and regulations
- Maintaining all manufacturer's suggested preventative maintenance on CarMax hauling equipment
- Carry out other tasks and duties as directed by the Senior Fleet Driver
- Register for and successfully complete a Commercial Driver's Licensing class and obtain a CDL class A prior to the end of the FDIT training program.
Job Qualifications & Specifications:
- Candidate must have been a CarMax employee with no Corrective Action Performance Management for a minimum of 6 months
- Possession of a valid state driver's license and clean driving record, as defined by the CarMax Driver Safety Evaluation Point System (DSEPS) within the last three (3) years
- Ability to pass a DOT certified Medical Exam
- Adherence to all applicable CarMax policies and procedures as described in the "Commercial Vehicle Driver Qualifications Policy", "Drug & Alcohol Testing Policy for FMCSA-Regulated Drivers", and "CarMax Fleet Operations Manual" documents
- Ability to read, interpret, transcribe, and/or manually enter data in order to maintain accurate records
- Ability to lift objects up to 50lbs
- Ability to maintain physical balance to safely enter and exit transported vehicles, including but not limited to vehicles located on the upper deck of transport equipment
- Ability to apply pressure to winch down transported vehicles during the loading process
- Indoor and outdoor environment; may include working at times in noisy and/or inclement weather conditions.
- Requires walking, bending, or standing for extended periods of time.
- Flexible work hours with shifts that may include nights, weekends, and holidays.
- Adheres to all CarMax policies including, but not limited to: Attendance, Proper Recording of Time, Code of Conduct, Asset Protection, EH&S (Environmental, Health, and Safety) and Standards of Professional Appearance.
CDL Tuition Coverage
CarMax is committed to the growth of our Associates and will pay for cost of obtaining a CDL license. The cost is covered by CarMax in one of two ways: 1) a tuition reimbursement submitted by the Associate for attending a CDL school other than Roadmaster or 2) a direct bill to CarMax when the Associate attends a Roadmaster CDL school.
Reimbursement (CDL schools other than Roadmaster)
Qualified candidates may be eligible to receive reimbursement from CarMax for the reasonable cost of the CDL class, and applicable licensing fees (exception: hazmat endorsement) in accordance with the following:
- Upon successful enrollment of the CDL class, candidate may request 50% reimbursement of the cost of the class.
- Once the CDL class is completed and passed, the on the job training is completed, and the FDIT has passed the CarMax Fleet Driver Road test, the FDIT may request the additional 50% reimbursement of the cost of the CDL class.
- The FDIT must maintain his/her employment status as a Fleet Driver with CarMax for at least 24 months after obtaining the CDL Class A License. An FDIT who fails to meet this obligation will be required to promptly repay CarMax the amount of money that was paid to the FDIT by CarMax for the cost of the CDL class within 60 days of leaving employment with CarMax.
Roadmaster Direct Bill to CarMax
Qualified candidates who enroll into a Roadmaster CDL school, will have their tuition paid directly by CarMax, at a value of $5,115. In exchange for accepting this tuition payment by CarMax, the following terms apply:
- Candidate is given four attempts to obtain their CDL Class A License through Roadmaster.
- If candidate does not obtain his/her CDL Class A License within those four attempts, the candidate will owe and will reimburse CarMax 100% of the CDL tuition cost that CarMax has incurred/will incur within 60 days of the last attempt.
- The FDIT must maintain his/her employment status as a Fleet Driver with CarMax for at least 24 months after obtaining the CDL Class A License. An FDIT who fails to meet this obligation will be required to promptly repay CarMax the amount of money that was paid on behalf of the FDIT by CarMax for the cost of the Roadmaster CDL class within 60 days of leaving employment with CarMax.
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.
Back to top