CarMax Technology Associate
CarMax is unique. As the industry leader in selling used vehicles, we are a niche retailer enabled by technology. Our 300+ IT Associates leverage cutting edge mobile and cloud technologies in an Agile environment to further our disruption of the used car buying market.
- Have you ever wanted to work for an established company with a start-up mentality?
- Do you want to be able to put your mark on a rapidly growing Fortune 200 Company?
- Do you thrive in a collaborative and innovative work environment?
Then your job search begins and ends here!
What is CarMax IT?
CarMax IT supports and delivers solutions for a rapidly growing business in an ever-changing niche retail sector. We are hiring people who are interested in:
- Collaborating to solve original, wide-ranging, and open-ended business problems.
- Developing the business and technical skills for a rewarding career.
- Working in a fast paced, dynamic agile environment where innovation is key to our success.
- Delivering projects that enable the success of our Associates, engage an evolving consumer market, and solve complex and compelling business problems.
- Experiencing the CarMax culture and learn why we are one of Fortune's 100 Best Companies to Work For! for 13 consecutive years.
What roles are we hiring for?
- Developer - Experience with various programming languages and exposure to the System Development Life Cycle (SDLC).
- Cloud Engineer - Experience with or a desire to learn Microsoft Azure Public Cloud, PowerShell scripting, GitHub, Test Automation, and Continuous Integration/Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) technologies.
- Network Tech - Experience with network engineering tasks related to routing, switching, firewalls and load balancers with a focus on Cisco solutions.
Where will I work?
CarMax has two locations in Richmond Virginia, one of the top 10 "next tech towns".
- CarMax Shockoe - located in the epicenter of Richmond Virginia's Downtown Technology District, our passionate Digital IT and Marketing teams continue to innovate solutions to the ever-changing retail consumer landscape.
- Home Office in West Creek - sitting amongst tall trees, running trails, athletic field and on-site gym, lies the bustling nerve center of CarMax. In this modern building with its big windows and expansive views is the heart of our organization. It is here that one experiences the "associate first" culture that Drives What's Possible!
What is unique about this position?
Technology Associates will attend the CarMax IT Academy; an 8-week program designed to jumpstart your CarMax career. Through this program, you will:
- Learn all about CarMax and our 3 lines of business.
- Learn about the primary technologies and tools used at CarMax, establishing a strong foundation for success in your new role.
- Visit CarMax stores to observe how IT systems help "Drive What's Possible." You'll be exposed to different business processes and learn how CarMax IT enables them.
- Gain a solid understanding of CarMax IT and how your contributions will have a direct and significant impact on the organization's ongoing success.
What are some of the characteristics of an ideal candidate?
- Passion for creating and implementing information technology solutions for business problems
- Graduating Winter 2017 - Spring 2018
- Demonstrated top caliber analytic and problem-solving skills
- A 4-year degree (Computer Science or Business Information Technology preferred)
- A history of achievement and aptitude demonstrated by a GPA of 3.0 or above, and/or other recognition such as scholarships, awards, and honor societies
Candidates must be legally authorized to work for any U.S. employer on a full-time basis without the need for sponsorship now or in the future
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top