AVP, Product Engineering
7041 - CarMax Shockoe - 140 Virginia Street, Richmond, Virginia, 23219
CarMax, the way your career should be!
ABOUT THIS JOB:
This senior Technology executive is responsible for developing and implementing an enterprise wide eCommerce /digital technology strategy, roadmap and investment plan. This position plays an influential role as a member of the senior Technology leadership team in shaping technical strategy, making investment and priority trade-off decisions, reducing unit costs, negotiating and managing vendor contracts and improving associate talent, commitment and morale.
What we do:
At CarMax, we develop disruptive applications to drive the industry forward.
Over 20 years ago CarMax disrupted the automotive industry. 25 years later, CarMax is doing it again! We are building a best in class product organization to provide a seamless customer experience driven by innovation.
Who we are looking for:
This senior engineering executive is responsible for developing and implementing an enterprise wide Omnichannel /digital technology strategy with a strong partnership within our product organization and alignment to the corporate roadmap and investment plan. You must be inspired to work with creative and technically forward engineering leaders. This position leads an influential role as a member of the Technology leadership team in shaping technology strategy, being dedicated to the customer centric focus of our product development practice, making investment and priority trade-off decisions, reducing unit costs, negotiating and managing vendor contracts and improving associate talent, commitment and morale in a DevOps culture. This leader will be key to growing a modern product development culture within CarMax and have passion for creating technology-based product experiences that solve problems for their customers.
Do you have what it takes to leverage a dynamic culture and lead a technically forward- thinking team to help drive the next emerging innovations for CarMax?
- Partner with key Product Management, Product Design and Technology leaders to understand current and future needs to develop an enterprise wide Digital technology strategy
- Create and lead teams through strategic vision; update vision and roadmap as needed
- Foster a strong customer service mindset through your engineering teams; champion thought leadership and innovation to reward curiosity and initiative
- Search out and bring innovative, external DevOps best practice ideas, with particular emphasis on digital / omnichannel
- Define and execute the solution architecture, specifically cloud deployment model and architecture
- Ensure project initiatives are well managed and deliver on expectations - functionality, timeliness and cost
- Ensure staff are participating actively and contributing consistently to product discovery activities in their respective areas
- Ensure staff maintains a visible and prioritized backlog of technical debt with clear plans to actively address the technical debt as part of normal sprint activities
- Technical depth to push the team towards a high standard of technical excellence and achieve the organization's quality bar.
- Expertise in understanding complex technology and applying it in a practical way to create business solutions
- Experience working within a dynamic, customer-centric organization and ability to partner with Product Management and Product Design
- Able to exercise value-based leadership
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Performs effectively in a dynamic and challenging environment
- Ability to evaluate long term impact when making recommendations and decisions on how to influence the organization in the right direction
- Ability to understand business drivers and how they impact decisions with the Product and Technology organizations
- The ideal candidate will have at least 7 years of professional experience in implementing digital solutions
- Minimum 10 years management/leadership experience including recruiting, coaching and mentoring, with a proven track record of building highly effective teams
- Bachelors or Master's degree in computer science, management information systems, business administration, or related discipline
- A proven ability to deliver technology solutions with predictability and quality
- Extensive experience in strategic planning, budgeting and allocation
- Extensive experience with third party software evaluation, selection, vendor negotiation and vendor management
- Experience preferred with MS .Net, MS SQL, MS Azure, Akamai CDN, Adobe Analytics & Target, iOS and Android application development
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and verbal) with both associates and managers and senior management
- Ability to influence others' behavior toward the enterprise's goals; having a high emotional intelligence; can build trust while maintaining confidentiality
- Ability to listen and to manage conflicts and achieve compromise while meeting meaningful goals and respecting other parties' perspectives
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application .
If you have technical problems when submitting your application, please contact us by phone (888) 922-7629 ext. 3888 or email email@example.com.
Back to top