Application Enterprise Architect
8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
ABOUT THIS JOB:
The Enterprise Architect participates in the creation and maintenance of IT strategy. The Enterprise Architect is responsible for expertise in one or more of the key Information Technology subject areas including but not limited to: Business Architecture, Application Architecture, Integration Architecture, Network Architecture, Security, Compute Infrastructure, End User Devices, Telephony, Cloud, Mobile, and/or Data.
The Enterprise Architect is responsible for oversight of the designs, development and maintenance within their assigned area. This involves the uniformity and performance of the implementations. This position will be responsible for ensuring that development meets CarMax® architectural and quality expectations. The role requires knowledge about all applicable business processes.
The Enterprise Architect is responsible for proactively and holistically leading the IT enterprise in change that moves the organization towards the desired business vision. The Enterprise Architect has a broad understanding of CarMax business models to develop overarching recommendations. This position works with business and IT leadership to set IT architectural vision and develop multi-year roadmaps.
The Enterprise Architect is responsible for the development and oversight of IT processes and governance plan.
This Enterprise Architect is a mentor and provides positive and developmental feedback and capitalizes on teachable moments to grow others. This position is responsible for the training and development of associates.
- Partners with business and IT leaders to identify business vision
- Sets strategy and direction and provides technology proposals for delivering business capabilities
- Drive sweeping changes that impact multiple environments
- Demonstrates ownership of applicable domains by providing strategy, vision, design direction, and standards.
- Drive implementations to meet standards
- Maintains documentation and implementation documentation
- Recognizes areas of improvement in the development lifecycle and recommend action plans
- Investigates new technologies and techniques by researching ongoing industry developments
- Evaluates the ROI of systems in the IT Enterprise environment and effectively weighs the financial alternatives involved with various solutions and proposals
- Partners with other IT Architects to assist IT Leadership with the forecasting of technology implementation budgets
- Assists in the budget process to identify the Total Cost of Ownership
- Responsible for multiple large projects in leading the definition, selection, and implementation of enterprise tools, technologies, and processes
- Drives architectural consensus
- Develops and delivers technical training and business understanding for IT architects
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Expert understanding of technologies within their focus area
- Broad understanding of multiple technologies
- Broad understanding of the business processes
- Broad understanding of all aspects of technical software requirements including security, scalability, and usability
- Able to develop long term technology road maps
- Demonstrated ability to compare and contrast alternative approaches to meet objectives while assessing risk both quantitatively and qualitatively
- Effectively estimate time required for technical efforts for projects of all sizes
- Demonstrated communication skills to include but not limited to verbal and written communication, delivering organized presentations, able to tailor message to the audience, and facilitate group discussions with diplomacy and seek diverse opinions
- Build consensus and acceptance of development patterns, standards, and processes
- Influence the technical direction of others in order to drive all projects to successful completion within the architectural standards and guidance
- Courageously drive strategic initiatives and challenge upward and across the IT enterprise when necessary
- Proven ability to effectively communicate architectural standards and best practices
- Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and problem solving skills and performs well in high pressure or stressful situations
- Demonstrated ability in statistical analysis, advanced calculations, and reporting
- Evaluate long term impacts when making recommendations and decisions.
- 4 year degree in IT related course of study, preferred
- 10+ years of network engineering, implementation and support experience, required
- Relevant experience in the applicable domain
Experience with the following required:
- Experience with cloud computing architecture (Microsoft Azure, SalesForce or AWS) for both SaaS and PaaS models
- Responsible for detailing application user stories/requirements and generating technical specifications for all systems within the assigned application portfolio.
- Demonstrated ability to design security infrastructure, applications, networks, systems and equipment that impact multiple environments across all of IT.
- Proven experience designing modifications to existing systems, designing reusable components, and elimination of redundancy in designs throughout IT Systems.
Experience with the following preferred:
- Demonstrate technical infrastructure architectural knowledge, playing a vital role in design of production, staging, QA and development infrastructures running in a 24×7 environment
- Experience in multiple large projects in influencing the definition, selection, and implementation of tools, technologies, and processes
- Establish level of service standards and operating procedures for overall system availability and individual system components
- Produce architecture and design documents to effectively hand over to development teams for successful implementation
- Knowledge of current and emerging industry technologies
- Working knowledge of SalesForce CRM a plus
Education and/or Experience:
- Typically, 10+ years within Information Technology with a concentration on Application Architecture. Application design and implementation leveraging cloud platforms (SaaS/PaaS/IaaS) required.
- 4-year bachelor's degree in Computer Science or IT related course of study preferred
- Experience in a broad range of IT systems required
- SalesForce Architect certifications preferred.
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application .
If you have technical problems when submitting your application, please contact us by phone (888) 922-7629 ext. 3888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
EddyIT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top