Application Enterprise Architect
Do you want to play a key role in enhancing the application landscape for a Fortune 500 company and national brand? Do you enjoy working in a collaborative environment where your ideas can help shape the direction and development of critical business capabilities?
Do you want to work with a team of talented professionals that are keenly focused on solving complex business challenges and supporting product innovation with technology?
Then your job search begins and ends here....
Who we are looking for:
The Application Enterprise Architect will focus on business outcomes: evaluates how the proposed technology solves the business problem, understand and influence the business capability roadmap, work with business partners to define the technology roadmap mapping to required business capabilities.
The Application Enterprise Architect will utilize proven consulting skills to deliver design and engineering services with a specific focus on the assigned application domain. Ensure IT solutions are aligned effectively with CarMax's evolving direction and posture while acting as a subject matter expert. Utilize modern technologies and industry standards to promote confidentiality, integrity and availability of CarMax's information assets.
The Day to Day:
• Provide strong expertise in Application Development support
• Work with Product organization to establish product feature and stories backlog and perform architecture spike to establish a technology architecture roadmap
• Work with Solution Architects to ensure that features/stories to be implemented can be decomposed into tasks to be provided to delivery teams
• Deliver "hands-on" application design expertise in support of the CarMax Environment
• Document the architecture and architectural decisions related to the assigned application portfolio
• Stay abreast of industry trends and new technologies that will enhance CarMax's current and future architecture and business capabilities.
• Be responsible for leading and directing system implementation throughout the system development lifecycle across the complete stack (i.e. physical, data, network, transport, session, presentation, and application)
• Document and speak to risks, mitigation, and alternatives
• Educates, trains, and provides support to junior team members on newly adopted technologies and processes
•Mentor and develop Solution Architects assigned to the supported application portfolio
• Reviews program related documentation for team members
• Partners with other IT teams in completing assigned tasks/projects
• Leads the requirements in large transformational efforts to resolve enterprise problems by influencing across multiple organizational levels in both IT and business
• Mentors others in best practices, procedures and concepts
• Steers the relevant support tasks of other Associates
• Steers application solutions through building consensus in both business and technical perspectives
• Influences the technical direction of others to drive all projects to successful completion within architectural standards and guidance
• Proven ability to effectively communicate architectural standards, leading practices, and effectively explain the "why"
To perform this position successfully, an individual must be able to consistently execute each essential duty & responsibility as well as consistently show proficiency with the following qualifications. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
• Ability to design complex systems that impact multiple infrastructure domains across IT Operations and Development teams while accounting for security considerations.
• Demonstrate ownership of the design aspects of the operations lifecycle
• Consistently show the ability to mentor others in the production of all artifacts required of an Engineer, Analyst or Principal Analyst
• Analyze business and technical requirements to determine system design requirements, identify potential issues, and perform cost analysis related to each project.
• Ability to strategically analyze the risks, benefits, and opportunities associated with a proposed design or solution
• Broad understanding of the business processes implemented across organization.
• Able to effectively estimate time required for technical efforts for projects of all sizes
• Investigate new technologies and techniques and research ongoing industry developments
• Assist in forecasting technology implementation budgets
Here's the technology part...
Experience with the following required:
• Experience with cloud computing architecture (Microsoft Azure, SalesForce or AWS) for both SaaS and PaaS models
• Responsible for detailing application user stories/requirements and generating technical specifications for all systems within the assigned application portfolio.
• Demonstrated ability to design security infrastructure, applications, networks, systems and equipment that impact multiple environments across all of IT.
• Proven experience designing modifications to existing systems, designing reusable components, and elimination of redundancy in designs throughout IT Systems.
Experience with the following preferred:
• Demonstrate technical infrastructure architectural knowledge, playing a vital role in design of production, staging, QA and development infrastructures running in a 24x7 environment
• Experience in multiple large projects in influencing the definition, selection, and implementation of tools, technologies, and processes
• Establish level of service standards and operating procedures for overall system availability and individual system components
• Produce architecture and design documents to effectively hand over to development teams for successful implementation
• Knowledge of current and emerging industry technologies
•Working knowledge of SalesForce CRM a plus
Education and/or Experience:
• Typically, 10+ years within Information Technology with a concentration on Application Architecture. Application design and implementation leveraging cloud platforms (SaaS/PaaS/IaaS) required.
• 4-year bachelor's degree in Computer Science or IT related course of study preferred
• Experience in a broad range of IT systems required
• SalesForce Architect certifications preferred.
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top