Analyst I - Sales Tax
The Sales Tax Analyst is responsible for ensuring that CarMax complies with each of the states sales and use tax laws. This responsibility consists of researching and implementing tax rate changes or law changes that impact the business. Additional responsibilities include preparing monthly compliance, taking direction from the tax team manager to assist on projects related to CarMax initiatives and reducing tax risks through analysis and audit defense.
Under general guidance of the team manager and senior analyst, preparation of monthly tax compliance including reconciling general ledger to monthly reporting and filling out necessary forms. Includes preparation of quarterly general ledger account reconciliations.
Communication that includes responding to the less demanding tax inquiries by external and internal customers either in written or verbal exchanges
Under general guidance of team manager and senior analyst conduct research for new business initiatives, projects and assist senior analysts with tax audits
Under general guidance of team manager and senior analyst monitor state tax legislation changes and assist in determining impacts to the company
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to think logically and conduct root cause analysis
• Ability to identify potential issues and present solutions; partners appropriately
• Ability to analyze data and reports; uses the information to make decisions
• Ability to motivate peers
• Ability to build and maintain strong relationships
• Ability to provide "win-win" solutions while resolving customer service issues in a positive and professional manner
• Ability to organize work; prioritizes and manages time well
• Ability to use functional knowledge while serving as a resource for internal customers
• Ability to identify and champion changes in business processes
• Ability to embrace change; manage emotions
• Ability to challenge others and the status quo appropriately
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor degree in Accounting, Finance, or related experience required
• Minimum of 2 years of tax experience at a public accounting firm or in a corporate tax department
• Experience working on state audits
• Computer skills: Intermediate Microsoft Office (Excel and Word).
Back to top