Analyst - Credit & Collections
Are you ready for Success? Be empowered to create yours, and Share in Ours. Join the CarMax Accounting Team!
CarMax, a growing Fortune 100 "Best Companies to Work For" eleven years in a row and the nation's leading used car retailer, is seeking an Analyst in Accounting at our home office in Richmond, Virginia.
Our Home Office is not your usual corporate environment. It is exciting, modern, inviting, energizing, casual, and congenial. In addition, it is loaded with perks including an on-site fitness center, walking trails, cafeteria, and much more.
The Analyst is responsible for collecting on CarMax receivables due from various sources including but not limited to financed contracts, returned checks, liens not recorded and miscellaneous recovery items such as undisclosed liens. With minimal guidance, the position analyzes and executes the appropriate collection strategy within State & Federal Collection Laws and CarMax Compliance Policies This position has authority to formulate, affect, interpret, and/or implement collection operating practices and to exercise discretion and independent judgment in determining the best course of action with respect to collection strategies.
In addition, the position requires in-depth communication of sensitive & complex information both written & verbal with key internal stake-holders. This associate must be a strong team player with an open mind and flexibility in working with peers who also demonstrates strong leadership in coaching fellow associates.
- Perform collection activities including but not limited to initiating customer contact via telephone, and written documentation of all collection activities.
- Communicating sensitive & complex collection strategy/guidance both written & verbal to outside vendors, internal departments: Field Senior Management, Accounting, Legal, Finance Support, Loss Prevention, Customer Relations and CarMax Auto Finance.
- Analyze and record/capture appropriately all new collection accounts for root cause.
- Initiate process improvements based on root cause analysis including but not limited to Business Operations, Sales Operations, Financial Services, and Loss Prevention.
- With minimal guidance, assess and execute appropriate collection strategy within the State & Federal Collection Laws and CarMax Compliance Policies.
- Perform skip-tracing research to locate customers and/or assets to further assess new strategies for collections.
- Perform general ledger activities including but not limited to account reconciliations, and journal entries.
- Review collections letters prepared by the Collection Support Team for accuracy and proper documentation. Provide direct feedback as appropriate.
- Leader within the team and coaching fellow associates within the team on their work product.
- Work projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Engage with customers to actively understand needs and deliver on customer commitments
- Communicates clearly and effectively through verbal and written methods
- Takes the time necessary to make the right choice; does so quickly if needed
- Use all resources to make good decisions
- Motivate, inspire and gain buy-in from others
- Champion and adapt to change
- Prioritize competing responsibilities appropriately
- Builds and maintains relationships
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- 3+ years of collection or customer service experience preferred; specifically direct customer interaction
- 3+ years of business related experience is required
- Business related degree preferred
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office (Excel and Word)
Meet Some of CarMax's Employees
IT Manager, Online Platform
As the IT Manager, Eddy oversees the team that builds the platform which runs everything users interact with on the CarMax website and the CarMax apps.
Back to top