Senior Software Engineer, Platform
Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus’ Platform/Infrastructure team is hiring a Senior Software Engineer, Platform. The Platform plays a key role for CarGurus to operate at scale. We are modernizing our technology platform and are looking to define key architectural capabilities, guide development teams on their successful implementation, and ensure the stability, security and scalability of our systems.
You will work within our Platform team to lead the technical strategy, design, implement and enhance the core infrastructure of CarGurus. This infrastructure includes, but is not limited to, search and storage solutions, data pipelines, observability systems and developer tooling. CarGurus site functions range from e-commerce, B2B, Analytics, and Data.
What You'll Do:
- Work on new and existing projects such as our data streaming platform, container & micro-services infrastructure, and distributed search systems.
- Define our platform roadmap
- Deliver features consistently
- Work with other teams to roll out platform updates and mentor other engineers
- Have a large impact in delivering a high-quality development environment with great quality code and products
Who You Are:
- Have 8+ years of engineering experience
- BS degree or higher in Computer Science or related field
- Experienced with distributed, high performance and loosely coupled systems
- Have a deep understanding of distributed messaging systems, modern search engines and various data storage and retrieval techniques
- Fluent in at least one programming language, preferably on the JVM
- Expertise with MySQL or other relational databases
- Biased towards using data to arrive at decisions
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.
Back to top