Principal Software Engineer, Foundations
Car shopping is complicated. At CarGurus, we use data and technology to make it simple, giving people the tools they need to confidently find, buy, finance, or sell a car. The best part? Our work’s made a real impact. We’re the most-visited car-shopping site in the US, and we’re expanding globally. Ready to come along for the ride?
The Foundations team at CarGurus is looking for a skilled Principal Software Engineer to help us improve overall engineering performance through architectural improvements, engineering tooling, and developing core frameworks. These projects are complex and challenging and provide the opportunity to work with sophisticated tools and technologies.
To succeed in this role, you must be able to learn and adapt quickly and collaborate with other engineers to deliver solutions. Potential project opportunities: creating new micro-services, improving backend/UI performance, re-architecting core components and building developer tools. You will own your projects and collaborate with fellow engineers and product partners as you solve interesting problems with a global impact. And no, you do not need to know about cars to work here.
What you will do:
- Provide technical and architectural leadership
- Collaborate with engineers and managers across the organization to understand and solve technical challenges
- Document requirements and design for different audiences
- Lead teams of fellow engineers including mentorship of new teammates
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
Who You Are:
- Experience architecting performant large scale web applications and knowledge of modern technologies that enable them.
- Expert in OOD and strong background in Java
- Leader in full-stack performance, data modeling/management, and web tier technologies
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Engineering
- Curious and plays well with others
At CarGurus, we invest in our people’s professional growth with everything from learning and development programs to tuition reimbursement. Want to work on projects that expand your skill set without sacrificing your work/life balance? You got it. We also strive to provide perks and benefits that employees actually care about like free lunch, commuter subsidies, and more. That includes equity in the company—our way of showing that we want you here for the long haul.
We work hard every day to build the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace, but trust and transparency don’t just apply to our consumers. They extend to our talent, too. We aim to create a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—where you don’t just fit, you thrive. We don’t discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, Germany, Spain, Italy, and the UK—with other markets on the horizon. We have offices in Cambridge, MA; Detroit, MI; Dublin, Ireland; San Francisco, CA and London, UK. Check out our careers page to learn more.
Back to top