Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. It all started in 2006 when Langley Steinert—Tripadvisor’s cofounder—gathered a small team of developers to help bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
The CarGurus Labs Wholesale Engineering team is looking for skilled a Principal Software Engineer to work on exciting new projects in the automotive space. These projects tend to have longer time horizons due to their challenging and exploratory nature. As such, an interest in rapid experimentation and iteration is a core attribute for successful team members
Our team is focused on finding non-traditional approaches to hard problems using data, asking better questions, measuring outcomes and quickly iterating on the solutions. We embrace the 80/20 rule.
One of our core beliefs is that useful data will lead to the best outcomes. We make decisions based on our data and insights. Each engineer manages their own products and projects. The autonomy in engineering is something we are very proud of and work hard to maintain. There will be great projects that can be both challenging and long term.
This is a very exciting time for CarGurus and is huge opportunity for you to be a part of something truly amazing!
Recent examples of public initiatives are:
- P2P – Making selling or buying cars privately easy, safe, and secure.
- Instant Offers – Helping sellers who sell privately get the best offer from a local dealer through a real time auction.
- Finance & Digital Retail – Enabling car buying online, starting with financing transparency.
Our startup DNA means we particularly value diverse set of backgrounds and perspectives. Come help build the next phase of CarGurus!
What you'll do
- Collaborate with fellow engineers, designers, and data analysts to take an idea from concept to technical design to implementation to testing to measurement.
- Write and deploy production quality code
- Provide technical and architectural leadership
- Lead teams of fellow engineers including mentorship of new teammates
- Pitch in wherever there will be the greatest impact. This could be anything from implementing a new full consumer facing feature, to integrating with a key partner or technology, to a quick vapor or A/B test to help determine what’s next.
- Continuously learn and expand your capabilities
What you'll bring
- 10+ years of industry experience
- Ability to write high quality code and tests
- Curiosity, equal desire to learn and teach
- Experience architecting performant large scale web applications
- Expert in OOP (Java preferred),
- React experience would be a huge plus
- Solid experience in the data layer including SQL, caching strategies, and storage alternatives
- Leader in full-stack performance, data modeling/management, and web tier technologies
- Curious and plays well with others
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid