Who we are
At CarGurus (NASDAQ: CARG), our mission is to give people the power to reach their destination. We started as a small team of developers determined to bring trust and transparency to car shopping. Since then, our history of innovation and go-to-market acceleration has driven industry-leading growth. In fact, we’re the largest and fastest-growing automotive marketplace, and we’ve been profitable for over 15 years.
What we do
The market is evolving, and we are too, moving the entire automotive journey online and guiding our customers through every step. That includes everything from the sale of an old car to the financing, purchase, and delivery of a new one. Today, tens of millions of consumers visit CarGurus.com each month, and ~30,000 dealerships use our products. But they're not the only ones who love CarGurus—our employees do, too. We have a people-first culture that fosters kindness, collaboration, and innovation, and empowers our Gurus with tools to fuel their career growth. Disrupting a trillion-dollar industry requires fresh and diverse perspectives. Come join us for the ride!
CarGurus’ Consumer Team is looking for an Engineering Manager, Consumer Products to join the team in Cambridge, MA. On the Consumer Team, you'll provide technical leadership in a fast-paced, data-driven environment. Your team will improve and build new product offerings to help our users find the car they're looking for as efficiently as possible. Potential project opportunities include devising and building A/B tests that incrementally enhance our core Listings product for millions of users, collecting feedback directly from customers to help shape and drive the vision of our products, and collaborating across multiple teams and disciplines to build functionality that continues to transform the car buying process.
What you'll do
Leadership: We’re seeking an individual who embodies CarGurus’ Leadership Principles to build a culture where inclusiveness is a reflex, not an initiative. We envision a workplace where everyone feels they can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential to work every day – where they don’t just fit, they thrive.
- Lead yourself: Our leaders are intentional about how they show up, manage themselves, and take ownership for their decisions and the impact they have on others.
- Create a shared purpose: Our leaders tap into motivation by aligning people around a common purpose. They connect strategy and success by focusing their teams on clear objectives and helping people understand how their individual roles impact our collective mission.
- Inspire ownership and accountability: Our leaders create a shared commitment to success and therefore a mutual accountability for results. They enable and empower others, but know when to roll up their sleeves and provide support. The best leaders develop more leaders.
- Communicate openly: Our leaders communicate proactively and clearly about goals, challenges, and opportunities. They listen with the intent to understand. They seek opportunities to collaborate across the business.
- Invest in growth: Our leaders embody a growth mentality. They challenge themselves and their teams to be curious and actively seek opportunities for learning and improvement, even when it’s uncomfortable.
- Cultivate environments of respect and trust: Our leaders care about people. They value varied perspectives and are committed to building a culture where everyone can show up as themselves and do their best work together!
Influencing and inspiring engineers will be paramount in the success of this role. You will facilitate cross-team collaboration and will use your leadership expertise to drive groups with disparate interests to decisions, seeing these through to impact. You will make pragmatic decisions, balancing strategic and tactical needs. You will help Senior Leadership manage engineering risk and make sure we are making the right trade-off calls.
Technical Expertise: This is a coaching and leading role in which you will be an important influence to core projects and experimental work. When presented with a complex problem, process, or existing system, you can reduce its complexity to get more done with less work. You will collaborate with tech leads and engineers throughout the organization to provide technical guidance. Your technical guidance will mean team members working with you will feel like they are going to leave with something significantly better than they arrived with and will have learned something along the way.
- Ensure your team writes clean, well-tested, and efficient code.
- Collaborate with product management, data analysts and other engineers to identify and scope opportunities
- Contribute to roadmap definition
- Collaborate with stakeholders to drive consensus
- Make data driven decisions
- Lead whiteboard sessions and architecture design conversations while engineering a solution to the challenges at hand
- Monitor and improve upon the performance of products and solutions
What you'll bring
- 3+ years of product software development experience
- Experience with A/B testing and product iteration
- Previous leadership experience
- Strong project management skills, experience with Agile methodologies a plus
- People focused technical leader
- Excellent collaborator with proven experience working in a cross-functional team including Product, Design, Analytics, Marketing
- Excellent communicator who can tailor messaging based on audience, which can range from junior engineers to senior business leaders to third-party vendors
- Detail oriented leader who makes data driven decisions
- Understanding of MySQL or similar relational database is a plus
Working at CarGurus
We reward our Gurus’ curiosity and passion with best-in-class benefits and compensation, including equity for all employees, both when they start and as they continue to grow with us. Our career development and corporate giving programs, as well as our employee resource groups (ERGs) and communities, help people build connections while making an impact in personally meaningful ways. A flexible hybrid model and robust time off policies encourage work-life balance and individual well-being. Thoughtful perks like daily free lunch, a new car discount, meditation and fitness apps, commuting cost coverage, and more help our people create space for what matters most in their personal and professional lives.
We welcome all
CarGurus strives to be a place to which people can bring the ultimate expression of themselves and their potential—starting with our hiring process. We do not discriminate based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex, marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender identity, or sexual orientation. We foster an inclusive environment that values people for their skills, experiences, and unique perspectives. That’s why we hope you’ll apply even if you don’t check every box listed in the job description. We want to know what only you can bring to CarGurus.
US employees must provide proof of full vaccination against COVID-19 unless they have an approved medical or religious accommodation. #LI-Hybrid