Meet CarGurus—the #1 visited online car shopping website in the US. At CarGurus, we’re building the world’s most trusted and transparent automotive marketplace where it’s easy to find great deals from top-rated dealers.
Founded in 2006 by Langley Steinert (co-founder of TripAdvisor), CarGurus is a technology company with a passion for data and its power to simplify every aspect of the car shopping experience. Using proprietary technology, search algorithms and innovative data analytics, we provide unbiased validation on pricing, dealer reputation and vehicle history.
CarGurus is looking to hire a highly motivated Data Engineer to help shape our growing data infrastructure. You will work closely with analysts in all areas of the organization, becoming the expert in crafting data assets, pipelines, and reporting tools. You’ll be a founding member of this team, and will be a key participant in its growth. This role is key to helping CarGurus become an insight-driven organization by democratizing our data assets.
What You’ll Do:
- Create and promote the CarGurus Data Dictionary, a key component of our data analytics strategy. The data dictionary contains the definitions of our core entities, measures, and metrics.
- Become a trusted advisor to Product, Marketing, Finance and other areas of the business to define and provide data critical to strategy.
- Maintain and expand ETL and reporting tools.
- Participate in the design of our overall data collection strategy, including technology, data pipelines, and visualizations.
- Build a scalable data insight platform that makes every decision data driven.
Who You Are:
- 2-4 years experience as a software engineer, data engineer, or related field.
- Significant software engineering skills, preferably in Python, Ruby, or similar.
- Familiarity with Linux/Unix shell scripting.
- Comfortable with using test infrastructure to validate code.
- Ambitious team player who thrives in a collaborative environment.
- Expert in SQL, with ability to optimize database and query performance.
- Familiarity with Redshift, Snowflake, BigQuery, or other large-scale databases a plus.
- Familiarity with NoSQL environments a plus.
- Detective, with keen interest in solving business problems with data.
At the core of our company culture is a spirit of innovation, curiosity and collaboration. True to our start-up roots, we’re nimble, flexible and hardworking. We have a great respect for testing and learning and a healthy aversion to scheduling meetings to discuss meetings. Lunch is catered daily. Gym membership is free. Foosball and ping pong are played often. Now a publicly-traded company, we’re as committed as ever to cultivating the culture that got us here.
In addition to the US, CarGurus operates sites in Canada, the UK and Germany with other markets on the horizon. Our offices are located in Cambridge, MA, Detroit, MI and Dublin, Ireland. If you’d like to learn more, please visit our careers page.
Back to top