Practice Lead, Software Engineering
- Chicago, IL
CapTech is a team of master builders, creators, and problem solvers who help clients grow efficient, successful businesses. We unite diverse skills and perspectives to transform how data, systems, and ingenuity enable each client to advance what’s possible in a changing world.
As perceptive partners, our U.S-based consultants find inspiration in the unknown and enjoy getting our hands dirty solving our clients’ myriad of challenges. Across industries and business goals, we fuse technical depth and analytical prowess with creative savvy to move clients forward. This drive helps each organization use technology, management, and insight to turn ideas into action. Together, we create outcomes that exceed the expected — which is one of the reasons we’ve been on the Inc. 500/5000 list for over a decade.
A Practice Lead of Software Engineering at CapTech are called upon to perform various responsibilities within CapTech’s Software Engineering practice area, usually in the context of a technology assessment, strategy formation, or a development project performed for a particular client. They often lead a team of developers and collaborate with experienced project managers, analysts, designers, and clients to architect and deliver vital internal and customer facing systems in partnership with a variety of Fortune 500 clients. Typically, Practice Leads have a broad understanding of many tools, technologies, and products, with some specialization in a few areas. Over time these specialties may change due to industry transformation or a changing client profile, and as such, our Practice Leads lead by example and still get hands-on experience with the latest technologies while working with passionate CapTechers solving complex problems across numerous industries.
Specific responsibilities for the Practice Lead, Software Engineering position include:
• Position yourself as a trusted advisor to CapTech clients and a leader for local Engineering Practice.
• Sets in-market vision for technology offerings with support of national practice leadership
• Fosters and mentors the members of the in-market Systems Integration community
• Oversee the technical decisions that must be made, work with client staff charged with architecture standards, and ensure quality of final results.
• Perform productively at many levels, from the abstract world of enterprise architecture to the concrete day-to-day world of coding.
• Provides the ability to manage multiple delivery engagements simultaneously, oversee large program teams, and collaborate cross-functionally
• Design, implement, integrate and support Java platform solutions.
• Create documents that specify strategy, assessment, or design in a way that delivers obvious value to the client and is understandable by any stakeholder.
• Articulate architectural differences between solution methods and the challenges and approaches to integrating solutions built on different platforms including a working knowledge of different architectural frameworks that may be used by our clients.
• Define the technical and solution architecture for a phased software development delivery and provide hands-on technical direction working with other developers.
• Apply detailed knowledge of organizational procedures to make independent decisions and serve as a credible resource for the client’s senior management team.
• Collaborate with CapTech business development team members during sales efforts to demonstrate CapTech’s technical capabilities, create a vision for a solution that CapTech can build, create estimates and work plans.
• Supports development of responses to RFI’s/RFP’s and customer proposal
• Works with recruiting team to ensure CapTech has the talent pipeline to meet market demand
• Develop less-senior resources (both CapTech and client) by teaching, empowering, reviewing results, both in technical areas and in consulting “soft” skills.
• Motivates teams to deliver high-quality work, add-value to client and collaborate across business units
• Shares project outcomes with other CapTechers to improve delivery for similar projects
• Aligns work to Account strategy and/or roadmap
• Proactively establishes new relationships with senior-level decision-makers, influencers, and connectors
• Participates and supports client culture
• Empowers team leads and supports their decisions; encourages dialogue within and across project teams
• Recognizes members for efforts and accomplishments; shares success with entire team
• Coaches team leads to effectively address and resolve conflicts and develops future leaders
• Creates stretch opportunities and inspires confidence in others’ abilities
• Identifies and closes technical skill gaps within or across teams
• Aligns self-development with organizational technology strategy
• Helps drive innovation/ Technology thought leadership by identifying emerging trends and solutions that fuel growth for clients and CapTech
• Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or equivalent degree and/or experience
• Ability to think strategically and relate architectural decisions/recommendations to business needs and client culture.
• Extensive knowledge of design patterns and when to apply them.
• Extensive knowledge of the Java and/or .NET languages, its core libraries, and many 3rd party or open-source frameworks often used in the industries of CapTech’s clients.
• Strong ability to apply rigor and discipline to the design/development process regardless of the tools/technologies used.
• Ability to discuss/debate architectural issues without rancor or personal investment.
• Ability to seamlessly modify communication based on the technical level of the target audience.
• Knowledge of how to assess the performance of software systems, how to diagnose performance problems, and tools used to monitor and tune performance.
• Extensive knowledge of the concepts and tools required for effective software development including: Integrated Development Environments, Continuous Integration, Operating Systems (specifically UNIX/Linux), Test-driven Development, SDLC Methodologies including Waterfall, Scrum, XP, Kanban, and SAFe.
• Exposure to Cloud and DevOps Technologies
• Ability to build, coach and mentor development teams
We offer challenging and impactful jobs with professional career paths. All CapTechers can keep their hands-on technology no matter what position they hold. Our employees find their work exciting and rewarding in a culture filled with opportunities to have fun along the way.
At CapTech we offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits package including, but not limited to:
- Competitive salary with performance-based bonus opportunities
- Single and Family Health Insurance plans, including Dental coverage
- Short-Term and Long-Term disability
- Matching 401(k)
- Competitive Paid Time Off
- Training and Certification opportunities eligible for expense reimbursement
- Team building and social activities
- Mentor program to help you develop your career
CapTech is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering a culture of equality, inclusion and fairness — each foundational to our core values. We strive to create a diverse environment where each employee is encouraged to bring their unique ideas, backgrounds and experiences to the workplace.
Candidates must be eligible to work in the U.S. for any employer directly (we are not open to contract or “corp to corp” agreements). At this time, CapTech cannot transfer nor sponsor a work visa for this position. Applicants must be authorized to work directly for any employer in the United States without visa sponsorship.
CapTech is a Drug-Free work place.
Candidates must have the ability to work at CapTech’s client locations.
All positions include the possibility of travel.
CapTech has not contracted/does not contract with any outside vendors in its recruitment process. If you are interested in this position, please apply to CapTech directly.
Meet Some of CapTech's Employees
Suzie T.Chief HR Officer
Suzie has two roles at CapTech—leading the Washington, DC and Baltimore offices, and running all of the HR programs for the company, working with employees across the nation.
Back to top