UX/UI Designer, Small Business Banking
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX/UI Designer, Small Business Banking
The Small Business Bank Design team at Capital One will be a new and diverse group of human-centered designers charged with designing experiences in service of a small business owner's dream, providing them with financial tools and advice that feel exclusively created for every moment in their journey. The Small Business Bank Design team is partnered with talented partners from product, tech, ops, analytics, communications, culture, and brand teams to bring about a persistent focus on our customers and create elegant, simple digital-first products that can revolutionize the lives of small business owners.
About The Role
Designers at Capital One have a passion for solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and feel comfortable advocating for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a passion for learning. They are capable of generating ideas and prototyping concepts that are anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an "anything is possible" mindset. They take pride in their work and yet they have a humble approach. They are able to contribute as a designer from end-to-end on projects, which means they are comfortable as researchers, data scientists, strategists, and designers. They employ design thinking methods to uncover insights that help inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and feel comfortable presenting their design decisions in front of colleagues and stakeholders.
Here's What You'll Need To Be Successful
- Demonstrated experience improving digital user interfaces through various tools and techniques.
- Experience working in a product group focusing on web or mobile applications for a few years; in and around designers, product managers and engineers - and love it. You thrive being the person responsible for delivering improved experiences.
- Prior experience illustrating that you contributed to delivering across the full product lifecycle, working with product teams, identifying opportunities and uncovering untapped needs through customer research and interaction data.
- Ability to deliver on those insights by partnering with product teams to drive product vision and experience strategy.
- Record of success inventing, designing, and launching successful features.
- Experience with end-to-end design process, balancing customer insights and business goals, from strategy to shipped product as well as post launch monitoring, enhancements, and iteration.
- Familiarity with prevailing business (Lean, OKR, JTBD) and technology (AGILE, serverless, Devops) languages well enough to collaborate with peer leaders from these disciplines.
- Solution-focused mindset that understands value begins with the user / customer, and then extends to the product and business horizons.
- Systems thinking ability, and a sense of structure as it manifests in business processes, digital experiences, and technology stacks.
In This Role, You Will
- Collaborate with other designers, product managers, and developers on research activities, strategy, ideation, concepts, final design, and testing of new product concepts
- Build empathy and be an advocate for our customers through participation in human-centered research and design
- Translate user needs, existing design systems, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems
- Contribute improvements back to our existing design system to help it grow and evolve.
- Present findings and design concepts to designers, product and development partners
- Support the development team in providing interaction flows, design assets, feedback and visual QA.
- BA or BS degree in Design (e.g. graphic, interaction, visual communications, product), or a related field or equivalent practical experience
- At least 5 years of experience with visual/UI design, user experience design and shipping products
- At least 2 years of experience working with Agile and Lean product development teams
- Master's degree in Design
- 5+ years' experience with standard digital design tools, e.g. Sketch, InVision, Adobe CC, etc
- 5+ years of experience with visual design
- 2+ years of experience with user experience design
- 2+ years of experience with information architecture
- 2+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity to articulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation
- Strong portfolio of UI/visual design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration
- Experience contributing to and applying design systems
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
JyotisanaSenior Manager, Software Engineering
Jyotisana manages five teams who simultaneously work on internal and external technology projects in areas from communication to customer service.
Back to top