UX Research Manager
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Research Manager
Capital One has a User Experience Research team and lab (USERLabs) at their McLean location. Our goal is to fully engage our customers in order to radically change how they interact with their money.
We are looking for a User Experience Research Manager to help design, lead and conduct user research for teams across our digital organization.
The User Experience Research Manager will be responsible for creating experiential research design, analysis of research, conducting empathy sessions, and running remote un-moderated studies. You will work to improve the usability, usefulness, and desirability of our tools in collaboration with Designers, Product Managers, Software Developers, and other Stakeholders in the Consumer Bank line of business.
- Focus on simple and clean experiences. "Don't make me think" should be your mantra for our users' interactive experience
- Conduct user research (empathy interviews, ethnographies and/or contextual inquiries) to develop user personas and complete user process analysis and hierarchical task analysis (HTA)
- Assist in translating requirements, information/interaction designs, and business/user needs into relevant, simple, elegant, and powerful UI Experiences that resonate with users and encourage adoption
- Create and document guidelines that elegantly address corporate brand standards, user-centered design principles, as well as business and operational requirements
- Actively monitor and analyze research, data, and trends from internal sources, academic research, and industry published reports to inform and improve our research methods
- Effectively and intelligently help in the iteration of designs by pinpointing key data points from testing, reviews, etc.
- Present and communicate research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations in any format required. Able to sell, support, explain, and simply present usability approach and research to various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers
- Conduct usability testing of tools and apps
- Leverage analytics tools and quantitative techniques to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making and prioritization
- Contribute to the style guidelines, design pattern libraries and usability best practices that facilitate a growing team's work
What You Bring:
- Basic knowledge and understanding of Design Thinking and Lean Startup
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent organization and time management
- Ability to present complex qualitative and quantitative data to diverse audiences in a understandable format
- Excellent problem-solving skills with ability to analyze situations, identify existing or potential problems and recommend solutions
- Experience in gaining active end-user involvement in the specification, design, and implementation phases through interviews, site visits and other observational methods (web analytics, remote logging, remote un-moderated usability studies, etc.)
- Excellent leadership skills and the ability to successfully resolve conflicts on a team
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience managing user-centered design methodologies, user centered design and usability
- Master's Degree or PhD in Behavioral Science, Computer Science (with Human-Computer Interaction focus), Human Factors, Usability, or Cognitive Psychology.
- 8 years of experience managing user-centered design methodologies, user centered design and usability
- 5 years of experience with agile usability and agile methodologies
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top