UX Designer - Machine Experiences
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Designer - Machine Experiences
Do you enjoy making people's lives better? Do you geek out on creating efficiencies through systems to solve problems? Do you crave the satisfaction of taking something complex and making it simple and logical? Do you just love process maps, service blueprints, and flowcharts? Well we've got good news for you - we're looking for someone just like you to join our team. We're searching for a systems-minded UX Designer who can help us rethink the way our Capital One ambassadors level-up the customer experience in our branches.
The Machines team is a diverse group of human-centered creatives and strategists who are responsible for designing all things ATM, teller tools, and the future of integrated device experiences at Capital One. The work we do has a unique role in influencing on reimagining the way customers interact with Capital One bank and how our associates are equipped to serve them.
As a member of the Machine Experiences UX team, you'll have the opportunity to work on a wide variety of experiences targeted for the Capital One customers and ambassadors in our branches, cafés, and beyond.
You will be on point for finding elegant ways to use data to provide a superior customer experience, for creating new ways for our branch and café ambassadors to better serve our customers, and for constantly iterating on the ecosystem of machines that support these goals. You will also work with us in exploring and illustrating the future vision of what integrated, multi-device experiences could look like. Think emerging tech, think intuitive, think human-needs-based.
Some ways you might describe yourself:
Your closet is organized by shirt type and color. You arranged your kitchen so every utensil is within reach right when you need it. You spend way too much time thinking about how to make the line move faster at your favorite coffee shop. You like to explore the ecosystems in the world around you to find the relationship between cause and effect.
You're known for always having side projects outside of work. You like to challenge yourself by exploring new technologies, growing your skill set in new areas and finding creative solutions to unique problems. As part of this team, this will be your job.
You don't wait around for somebody to tell you the answer to a question. You Google it, look it up on Stack Overflow or scour Reddit to find unique solutions. You don't need constant supervision, reminders, or self-assurances.
You'll think about the team, the product, and the customer all as a part of your work: it needs a purpose - whether to solve a problem, educate, or delight - and you'll measure its performance against these goals. You seek opportunities to build the case for where the team needs to move next in order to bring the greatest impact.
You're as much an individual contributor as a team player. You circle back to make sure the whole team is on board before making big decisions.
Confident but humble
You'll teach the team what you know, but also be humble enough to learn from others. You share ideas early and often to get buy-in from stakeholders - You understand the importance of making stakeholders and business partners feel included in the process.
- Own, drive, and present bodies of product design to stakeholders across disciplines
- Conduct research with associates across multiple job functions to identify opportunities to create efficiencies for our ambassadors and customers
- Visualize disparate multi-channel experiences to show connections, relationships, and dependencies
- Transform complex manual data systems into simple AI supported solutions
- Deliver streamlined, user-friendly digital experiences on a platform product
- Work collaboratively with digital designers, product managers, data analysts, operations specialists, branch ambassadors, and tech teams
- Deliver superior creative and innovative solutions across digital, physical, and data experiences
- Independently analyze and conduct market research to evaluate existing products and programs already in the wild
- Find inspiration from peripheral competitors using data to create radical customer experiences
- Have familiarity and skills across the design spectrum from research to iteration and implementation
- Play with multiple platforms and technologies in order to define and implement innovative steps and leaps in the human banking experience
A typical week in this role might look like:
- Working with Product Managers to define and prioritize their near- and long-term goals.
- Joining sprint planning with product management and tech teams to prioritize the implementation of new designs and features, and sharing that back with the design team.
- Conducting field research with associates/customers or leading a service blueprinting workshop with a range of stakeholders.
- Participating in empathy interviews or user testing as we iterate and bring new functionality to scale. Synthesize and raise insights for path forward.
- Designing or giving input on anything from wireframes, to app flows, to physical experience designs.
- Catching up with one of our business analysts to identify new ways of creating efficient and elegant processes that improve the customer experience
- Joining 400+ designers across the organization for a lunch and learn session every Thursday.
- Leading, shaping, guiding, and mentoring other designers in their work- including everything from empathy research to pixel perfect designs, while helping removing obstacles.
- Reporting in to design management on progress of work, vision, roadmap, and resourcing needs
- Joining a team retro to look back over the past week and discuss what is working, not working and sharing new ideas around ways to improve the culture and collaboration
- Reviewing work across our team and the broader organization, leveraging your expertise and unique POV to create a culture of shared expertise
- At least 5 years of experience delivering product design across web and mobile interfaces.
- At least 5 years of experience within User Experience Design, Human-Computer Interaction, Industrial Design, Graphic Design, or Interaction Design
- Willingness and ability to jump in and learn
- Experience working end-to-end across the design process because research, testing, and iteration is a large part of what drives our work.
- Experience harnessing data-aggregation systems and tools
- Expertise in creating simple information architecture systems
- Passion for service design and improving processes
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top