7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams.
The Team and Web UI Designer Role:
The Enterprise eCommerce Design team at Capital One is a diverse group of human-centered designers charged with disrupting how people interact with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. The Enterprise eCommerce team has the unique ability to address the comprehensive needs of our broad customer base, designing an eCommerce platform that is simple, relevant and delightful to all.
We're looking for a talented Web UI Designer to join our team in creating next-generation eCommerce web experiences for Capital One. You'll work closely with design leadership and a full cross-disciplinary team to devise innovative design concepts and production-ready assets that will establish the future vision of Capital One's online eCommerce experience.
- A master craftsperson. You dream about color, typography, iconography and animation every day. You can't stop yourself from critiquing everything, everywhere, all the time and wishing you had the time to redesign it all. You are proficient using tools like Sketch and Photoshop, and can efficiently use your skillset to develop new designs that take our visual systems and design language to the next level.
- Passionate. You are genuinely interested in designing beautiful experiences that impact people's lives. You make it your business to know as much as you can about the people you are designing for and make design decisions based on their needs. You are also active within the design community, staying up-to-date on the latest design trends and techniques.
- Collaborative. You're a team player who puts the interest of the team above your own. You will collaborate with business analysts, product managers, developers and design teams on research activities, strategy sessions, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts. You display a positive attitude and are excited to share your ideas with the team as well as listen to those of others.
- Have a can-do attitude. You're a proactive team player who is eager and excited about producing awesome work. No task is too small or large for you. You can work alone or with partners to problem solve and develop clear action and execution plans for a task, informing your manager of progress appropriately.
- A successful juggler. You don't get overwhelmed or flustered easily. You're able to keep track of multiple projects at once, manage you time efficiently and appropriately, and communicate early and often with your manager and the broader team.
- A storyteller. You're able to develop clear and persuasive stories about your work that you share with a wide range of audiences, including business partners and stakeholders. You're able to present research findings and design concepts to designers and product partners in a way that helps them see the rationale and value of a solution.
- Detail-oriented. You impress your teammates with the ability to pick out small nuances that no one else seems to notice. You're proud that your production files are always pixel perfect and you've thought through every permutation of your designs, making the development process smooth sailing.
- Flexible. You know that projects can adjust at the drop of a hat, you are adaptable and welcome change. Rely heavily on prototyping and user testing to help influence decisions and iterate on the experience based on that feedback.
What You'll Bring:
- Extensive UI design experience (and the portfolio to prove it) as a key, hands-
on interaction/visual designer of a UI/UX team through the product development
cycle of successfully launched web, mobile, and/or software applications.
- Understanding of web interface and interaction patterns and best practices for various platforms within a responsive design framework.
- A strong passion for outstanding visual design that gets it right in the details.
- Researching and analyzing industry UX/UI trends and competitor sites and strategies.
- Understanding of human-centered design and UX practices. Interest in partnering with UX designers on user research, journey maps and user flows.
- Ability to work from low fidelity to high fidelity, learning and adjusting at every stage of the design process.
- Create and revise information architecture documents and diagrams including but not limited to: interaction patterns, content diagrams, content maps, wire frame diagrams, comprehensive diagrams and static prototypes.
- Knowledge of html and CSS, with the ability to work closely with engineers to implement designs.
- Ability to work collaboratively within cross-disciplinary teams, as well as ability to work independently.
- Ability to quickly deliver multiple, inventive ideas that are fresh and simple while solving complex customer and business needs. Confidence in sharing in-progress work with teammates.
- Ability to clearly communicate your design decisions with the team and craft elegant presentation and storytelling capabilities.
- Directing ongoing usability testing and assessment.
- Understanding of an agile/scrum development process.
- Understanding of the latest technologies, best practices, and online trends to provide recommendations for the team.
- Proficiency with current design tools (Sketch, Adobe CC, Invision, etc.)
- AA/AS Visual Design or military experience
- At least 2 years of experience with UI / Visual Design for the responsive web and mobile/tablet UI/UX
- Bachelor's Fine Arts Degree
- 1+ years of experience designing for omni-channel services
- 1 + year of experience with prototyping tools.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top