UX Design Researcher
77 West Wacker Dr (35012), United States of America, Chicago, Illinois
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Design Researcher
Ace designers are a rare breed. So are banks that are amazing to work for.
Fortunately, we've got both in spades here at Capital One. So maybe you should join us.
Here in Chicago, we have the privilege of partnering with lots of nationally known brands to bring exceptional financial products and experiences into the real world, for our customers. We're on a journey to reimagine and reinvigorate our platforms and services.
We seek a rising star to build Capital One's Partnerships Flex Team. We're looking for a strategic thinker to help card partners shape the future of retail experience.
- Motivated by the opportunity to develop human centered products and services that address business challenges and delight millions of consumers?
- Comfortable leading small teams (of internal and external stakeholders) from the ambiguity of identifying consumer needs to the clarity of defining compelling and grounded solutions?
- A natural ambassador of design thinking with experience teaching, coaching, and mentoring others?
As a Design Researcher for USERLabs working on the Partnerships Flex Team, you will…
- Manage multiple stakeholder needs, interests, priorities, and expectations effectively and sensitively
- Bring a strong track record of collaboration with designers, researchers, strategists, prototypers, and business types
- Be an experienced facilitator with the ability to balance conversation within cross-functional groups and drive toward consensus
- Scope and lead projects with card partners (partners outside of Capital One) that move from discovery research to synthesis, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts.
- Conduct user research at all stages from discovery to validation, using a variety of research methods to develop user understanding
- Provide team leadership to inspire, coordinate and deliver results
- Know when and why you use specific research methods, approaching problems using the research goal as a driving factor towards research planning and method selection
- Actively monitor and analyze research, data, and trends from internal sources, academic research, and industry published reports to inform and improve our research methods
- Effectively and intelligently influence the iteration of designs by pinpointing key data points from testing, reviews, etc.
- Present and communicate research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations in any format required. Able to sell, support, explain, and simply present research approach to various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers
- Leverage analytics tools and techniques to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making and prioritization
- Maintain Usability templates and guidelines, best practices, research documentation and raw data that facilitate a growing research team's work
- Generate clarifying insights and find the common thread in varied - and sometimes conflicting - inputs (data, qualitative feedback, hypothesis, etc.)
- Share discoveries, influence stakeholders, and create energy around research approach and methodology
- Strategically balance the overarching customer experience with product roadmaps, business rationale, partner priorities, etc.
- Provide direction on and contribute to the development, testing, and refinement of physical, digital, and space UX prototypes
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience leading research consulting engagements
- Master's degree from an accredited college or university
- 5+ years of experience in Design Research with innovation companies
- 4+ years of usability testing and user experience research within a lab environment
- 2+ years of experience with Human Computer Interaction
- 2+ years of experience with Human Factors
- Experience teaching design thinking, human centered design, design research, etc.
- Excellent writer and communicator
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you require an accommodation to apply for a job or to perform a job, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top