UX Design Manager - Digital Products Experiences
1750 Tysons (12023), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Design Manager - Digital Products Experiences
We're the Market Experience Design team, embedded within the larger Capital One Consumer Bank Design organization. Our team is focused on human experiences, reimagining the services and interactions we offer at our bank branches andcafé spaces. We are a humble but driven team that cares deeply about our customers and our colleagues.
User experience is at the forefront of how we create intuitive, innovative, and compelling digital products that our customers and associates love. We strive to learn and understand our users' needs, behaviors, and emotions to gather insights that inform product strategy and design. Our team of designers partners with product, engineers, research, and content strategists who are passionate about quality, usability, and simplicity. We work collaboratively to solve complex challenges and craft experiences that highlight our products' unique capabilities and personalities.
As User Experience Manager on this team, you will lead, inspire, and collaborate with designers, product managers, and developer teams to build apps, tools, and features that help customers connect their money with their life and values. This team focuses on supporting the in-person experiences and conversations by digital tools. This role focuses on those digital tools.
You may help set the future direction for how to scale existing experiences and/or help prioritize and develop new ones. Expertise for this role include ability to:
60% - Delivery & Execution:
- Experience creating prototypes that showcase design concepts and interaction patterns. Has the ability to work from low fidelity to high fidelity.
- Ability to quickly deliver multiple, inventive ideas that are fresh and simple while solving complex customer and business needs. Confidence in sharing in-progress work with team mates.
- Use customer-driven insights and agile methodologies to deliver elegant and delightful customer experiences
- Collaborates and creates strategy for prototyping and pilot efforts that cross platforms: Native iOS / Android, Web, in-person experiences.
- Develop and maintain artifacts that express humanity, simplicity and ingenuity in a range of fidelity-from napkin sketches to pixel-perfect designs
- Provides guidance on design of products while keeping in mind dependencies and integration with other products across the enterprise
- Reviews recommended designs and work of UX team members to ensure that designs are aligned with business, stakeholder, and end user priorities
- Receives and prioritizes incoming requests from business partners and stakeholders to help their team in prioritization
- Coaches and pairs with team members (design, engineering, and product management) to design solutions and share best practices
20% - People:
- Guides more junior team members in strategy, research, alignment, analysis, and design execution tasks
- Provides mentoring and coaching to UX professionals and acts as a proponent of UX practices for the team
- Attracts, retains, and develops top talent
- Fosters collaboration with team members and partners (Engineering, Product Management, etc.) to drive value and identify and resolve impediments
- Lead and/or collaborate on the design process for your team - from problem definition to design implementation
- Aligns user experience efforts across products and projects for the team
20% - Strategy & Planning:
- Gains a thorough understanding of customer and associate needs, both existing and potential, and uses that knowledge to help design products that provide customers and associates with an unparalleled in-person experience
- Presents complex design concepts, user needs, and design rationale to multidisciplinary teams, key stakeholders and business partners
- Define product roadmaps, balancing user/business/tech perspectives, prioritizing problems to solve and the solutions or features to solve them
- Lead workshops to facilitate co-creation, alignment, and understanding to maintain constant dialogue and shared views with other partners.
- Support research activities and know when/how to advocate for exploratory or testing research in the design/development process
WHAT YOU BRING:
- Storyteller: Strong storytelling capabilities; an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative
- Systems Thinker:You have a knack for stepping back and looking beyond the immediate problem to see how it fits into the larger ecosystem-across channels, touchpoints, and platforms-and then diving in to nail the important details.
- Data-Driven: You are clear in articulation of intent and goals, and you know how to use data and research to back up your work. You'll seek out analytics and user testing data to help you make design decisions, support your design decisions, and iterate on your past design decisions - all so we constantly get better at getting better.
- Intrapreneur:You'll think about the team, the product, and the customer all as a part of your work: it needs a purpose - whether to solve a problem, educate, or delight - and you'll measure its performance against these goals. You seek opportunities to build the case for where the team needs to move next in order to bring the greatest impact.
- Humble and self-aware:You wield your personal power judiciously and in a way that makes others around you great; you'll teach the team what you know, but also be humble enough to learn from others; you understand the importance of making stakeholders and partners feel included in the process.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 3 years of experience managing a team
- At least 5 years of User Experience Design experience
- At least 5 years of experience creating prototypes
- At least 3 years of experience designing for native mobile (iOS and Android)
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience
- A strong portfolio of shipping multiple software products
- 5+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity with standard digital design tools
- Fluency in best practices for digital products - web-based or mobile-based information architecture and design
- Strong knowledge of usability principles and techniques
- Experience working in a highly regulated industry
- Experience with in-house product design
- Experience leading projects and the work of other designers
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top