UX Design Manager
Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Design Manager
As an Experience Design Manager on the Commercial Design team, you will work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, researchers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how people and commercial businesses interact with their money – you will identify opportunities for change, ideate on concepts, advocate for the needs of our customers, and lead design from empathy to iteration to deliver human-centered solutions to our associates and commercial customers.
About the Role:
Experience Design Managers at Capital One have a passion for solving complex problems. They are human-centered in their approach to design and feel comfortable advocating for user needs. They are curious and demonstrate a passion for learning. They are capable of generating ideas and prototyping concepts anchored in research insights, subject knowledge, technology requirements, and business goals. They have an exuberant passion for the power of strategic design and an "anything is possible" mindset. They take pride in their work and yet they have a humble approach. They are able to drive human-centered design in a Lean and Agile environment, and contribute as a designer from end-to-end on projects, which means they are comfortable as researcher, data scientist, strategist, and designer. They employ design thinking methods to uncover insights that help inform design decisions. They are excellent communicators and feel comfortable presenting their design decisions in front of colleagues and stakeholders.
Here's what you'll need to be successful:
- Demonstrated experience improving digital user interfaces through various tools and techniques.
- Experience working in a product group focusing on web or mobile applications for a few years; in and around designers, product managers and engineers – and love it. You thrive being the person responsible for delivering improved experiences.
- Prior experience illustrating that you were responsible for product throughout the full product lifecycle, working with product teams, identifying opportunities and uncovering untapped needs through customer research and interaction data.
- Ability to deliver on those insights by partnering with product teams to drive product vision and experience strategy.
- Record of success inventing, designing, and launching successful features.
- Experience with end-to-end design process, balancing customer insights and business goals, from strategy to shipped product as well as post launch monitoring, enhancements, and iteration.
- Familiarity with prevailing business (Lean, OKR, JTBD) and technology (AGILE, serverless, Devops) languages well enough to collaborate with peer leaders from these disciplines.
- Solution-focused mindset that understands value begins with the user / customer, and then extends to the product and business horizons.
- Systems thinking ability, and a sense of structure as it manifests in business processes, digital experiences, and technology stacks.
Specifically, you will:
- Help your team deliver world-class products that will redefine our customers' day-to-day experience and relationship with Capital One.
- Research unmet customer needs to solve for existing problems or explore and develop entirely new business opportunities.
- Build empathy and be a customer advocate in our product development process.
- Collaborate with business analysts, product managers, researchers, developers and design teams on research activities, strategy sessions, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts.
- Use customer-driven insights and Agile methodologies to deliver elegant and delightful customer experiences .
- Translate user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems.
- Visualize complex sets of data in ways that are easy to comprehend.
- Leverage analytics tools to measure success, present opportunities, and support decision-making.
- Use Lean and Agile methodologies to drive product discovery, strategy, and delivery
- Lead workshops to facilitate co-creation, alignment, and understanding.
- Present research findings and design concepts to designers and product partners.
- Be a leader and mentor; you'll challenge, grow, and mentor designers and contribute to fostering a collaborative team spirit.
- Plan, orchestrate, and oversee a program of several simultaneous projects / efforts.
- Be instrumental in building a design practice characterized by integrated delivery, continuous learning, strategic impact, and a healthy and growing team.
What you bring:
- Strong portfolio of UX/UI design work that demonstrates experience working on projects from empathy to iteration
- Strong storytelling capabilities; an ability to weave key insights into a compelling narrative
- Experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity to articulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation using modern tools (e.g., InVision, Flinto, Pixate, UXPin,Keynote, etc).
- Excellent problem-solving and relationship management skills
- Interest in service design with experience using service design methods
- At least 5 years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- At least 1 year of experience managing other designers
- Master's degree in Design or Master's degree in Human-Computer Interaction
- 8+ years of experience with user experience (UX) design
- 8+ years of experience designing digital products or omni-channel services
- 5+ years of experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Omnigraffle, Balsamiq, Axure, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience with information architecture
- 3+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity
- 2+ years of experience managing other designers
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top