UX Design Lead
114 5th Ave (22114), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Design Lead
About this role:
Join our Consumer Bank Machines team in designing digital experiences and physical machines (ATMs and more) as we work to redefine the banking experience. You'll do this by managing a small but mighty team who work across this varied ecosystem. You'll help refine and iterate on existing platforms while you research and create the future for Capital One banking machines.
A typical week in this role might look like:
- Working with Product Managers to define and prioritize their near- and long-term goals, then structuring them into design stories for your design team.
- Joining sprint planning with product management and tech teams to prioritize the implementation of new designs and features.
- Designing or giving input on anything from wireframes, to app flows, to physical experience designs.
- Mentoring, and working with your team to prioritize their work including everything from empathy research to pixel perfect designs, while helping remove obstacles.
- Working with our research & development team to help define the physical presence of future machines. What do our customers need today and what will they need tomorrow?
- Catching up with one of our business analysts to better understand the business cases for the team's workload.
- Participating in empathy interviews, or user testing, as we iterate and bring new functionality to scale. Synthesize and raise insights for path forward.
You're a good fit if you:
- Possess deep UX and system design skills.
- Have a desire to solve the needs of today while defining the ecosystem of tomorrow.
- Have experience leading and inspiring teams, and can seamlessly shift between the roles of individual contributor and mentor.
- Are committed to balancing tech, business, and human needs as you think through solutions.
- Love thinking across physical, digital and multi-device spaces.
- Are curious about tech capabilities and considering interactions that aren't always based around screens.
- Are comfortable navigating highly-regulated industries
- Are excited to work with multidisciplinary teams and are adept at facilitating alignment across different perspectives
- Use design to communicate complex concepts simply and always strive to make things tangible, whether they're conversations, frameworks, or ideas
- Stay on top of the latest technology trends and are up for the challenge of bringing new technologies to a conservative industry
Skills by the book:
- At least 5 years of experience with user experience design
- At least 3 years managing teams
- At least 3 years of experience designing digital products or at least 3 years of experience designing omni-channel services
Bonus points for:
- Master's degree in Design, Master's degree in Human-Computer Interaction, or comparable experience
- 7+ years of experience with user experience design
- 5+ years examining and design to multi-device experiences
- 7+ years of experience designing digital products
- 7+ years' experience with standard digital design tools (e.g. Sketch, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Invision, etc.)
- 5+ years of experience leading projects and other designers
- 5+ years of experience with information architecture
- 5+ years of experience creating prototypes at various levels of fidelity
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top