UX Content Lead
Wright Brothers (51050), United States of America, Seattle, Washington
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
UX Content Lead
The idea of "bringing humanity and clarity to every conversation we design" has you intrigued.
You love finding ways to describe real human needs in plain language. You LOVE creating solutions that actually help people. And, you guide others on your team to be brave enough to design with humanity. You're a natural storyteller, information architect, and content designer. Your passion for writing and designing for people is contagious.
Here's what a UX Content Lead at Capital One could do on any given day:
- Run a workshop with a product team, helping them find the human language around the scenario they're designing.
- Brainstorm with a UX teammate on how to walk a customer through a sign-in process, or how to make error messages more human.
- Collaborate with a teammate to co-write a content workbook, including conversation structure, ideal phrases, human language, and navigation ideas.
- Lead a co-writing session with design, research, legal, and product,
- Answer email. (We're all trying to spend less time on this, but let's be real.)
- Contribute to a review meeting to share wins, questions, business updates, and team goals.
- Lead a journey-mapping session to outline the customer experience for an end-to-end financial advice scenario.
- Co-write a user-testing script and iterate the content between usability test participants.
- Work with a visual designer to create an interactive illustration showing how new federal regulations will change regulations for financial planning.
- Facilitate a group conversation to help a team clarify what they are working on, or how they are working.
- Grab coffee with a product manager to hear what they're super excited about and how you can help.
- Join a Capital One Design all-hands to see what other teams are doing.
- Help, support, and coach other UX team members.
Your days look like that because:
- We're changing banking for good. We're all humans with unique emotions about our money, and messaging HUGELY influences how we feel about the institutions we've entrusted to handle that money.
- Our team's goal is to bring simplicity, ingenuity, and humanity — and personality, where appropriate — to our customers' experience with their money. It's a big responsibility, but that means it's also a big opportunity to do something real, good, and important.
- Capital One as a whole emphasizes the Design Thinking mindset with rapid iteration and lean development, no matter what we're working on.
You'll need to be pretty dang good at wearing these hats:
- Customer Advocate — You'll dig into who our customers are and what language they use, then ensure our products speak their language
- Writer — You'll build trustworthy relationships with customers by making "simplicity and humanity" core facets of our product content
- Editor — You'll cut or change what doesn't help the audience engage with their financial decisions and encourage them change poor financial behavior
- UX Designer — You'll establish a cohesive conversation with users, both within and across our many digital experiences
- Researcher — You'll test your content with real customers, iterate until it's clear as a bell, then see it rolled out to millions of people
- Data Scientist — You'll study analytics and use data to drive your messaging decisions and support/dispel your assumptions
You'll love your job THE MOST if you:
- Want to be a part of changing banking for good
- Want to influence the lives of people
- Enjoy taking the lead in creating style and tone guidelines, while collaborating across disciplines
- See words as an incredibly powerful tool for connecting with people
- Are passionate about the customer and want to use your influence to design experiences that build trust and help people
- Commit only to what is essential, and your calendar and to-do lists reflect that
- Are articulate and prepared, able to confidently substantiate your decisions to peers and senior-level executives alike
- Work quickly without compromising quality, knowing that iteration and testing are part-and-parcel to designing exceptional user experiences
- Take initiative, aren't afraid to fail, ask thoughtful questions, and constantly seek better ways of working and communicating
- Recognize that collaboration is key to your success and the success of our products
You might feel pretty bummed about this job if you:
- Want to focus on content marketing
- Aren't comfortable working directly with UX and product partners
- Don't truly believe in user-first design all the way down to your bones. We're serious about this one.
- Prefer owning a project individually to coaching others collaboratively through a project
- Work better in structured environments than in ambiguity and uncertainty
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of experience with digital UX content strategy and writing/editing for web or mobile experiences
- Master's degree in Communications, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), or Design
- 5+ years of experience with digital UX content strategy
- 5+ years of experience designing for digital products and interactions
- 3+ years of experience leading content-first design
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top