Testing Specialist / Automation Test Engineer
West Creek 5 (12075), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Testing Specialist / Automation Test Engineer
The Testing Specialist will work under general supervision to define, document, analyze, perform and interpret functional tests for new and/or modified software products. Perform varied and complex assignments of the software testing functionality. Investigate and resolve operational problems in conjunction with other technical personnel. Partner with other QA Specialists and perform the set-up and execution of tests.
- Requires thorough technical, analytical and operational knowledge within the QA area of accountability with specific responsibilities for design, development and implementation of test strategies
- Responsible for the execution of integration, system, and regression testing of software
- Maintain his/her own schedules and coordinate activities for project efforts while maintaining high quality execution; identifying task dependencies, test schedules, and the utilization of test environments
- Ensures test deliverables are prepared per enterprise guidelines; monitors the completion of tasks within time and cost constraints and ensures that technical and functional objectives are met.
- Direct responsibilities to:
- Interact with the product delivery team; participate in product requirement/design reviews to provide input on completeness of functional requirements, product designs, and schedules
- Identify interdependencies, ambiguities or omissions, and make suggestions to improve requirements and ensure usability/testability
- Review software documentation to ensure technical accuracy, compliance, or completeness, with focus to mitigate risks
- Design test plans, scenarios, scripts, and/or procedures to determine product quality or release readiness
- Develop testing scenarios/cases to address areas such as database impacts, software scenarios, regression testing, boundary/negative testing, error or defect retests, usability; including automated scripts
- Perform test execution, capture results documentation
- Develop & execute automated test scripts
- Perform initial debugging procedures by reviewing configuration files, logs, or code pieces to determine breakdown source
- Adhere to defect tracking process; document software defects, using a defect tracking tool (QC/ALM), monitor the progress in a timely manner, escalate aging and priority defects
- Document test procedures to ensure repeatability and compliance with standards
- Collect and report test results through various metrics reporting tools and communicating to key stakeholders on a regular basis.
- Assess readiness and deviation of project performance based on test results.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or military experience
- At least 2 years' experience in testing with a firm understanding of functional end-to-end testing, system testing, batch processing, user acceptance testing, and regression
- At least 2 years' experience with project management methodologies, including Agile methodologies and supporting techniques (e.g. Test Driven Development and continuous integration processes), packaged system implementations, and traditional specification-driven approaches
- At least 2 years' experience business processes and related systems supporting either Credit Card, Commercial Bank, Retail Bank or Finance industries
- At least 2 years' experience with testing tool experience (ALM or Quality Center, Quick Test Pro, Winrunner)
- At least 2 years' automation hands-on scripting experience working on automation frameworks using Ruby or Python or Java or Selenium or other similar scripting languages
Commercial Bank testing in one of the following areas:
Wealth and Asset Management
Payments (ACH, Wires, FX, etc.)
- Online Banking & Information Reporting
- 5+ years experience performing Quality Assurance functions with demonstrated experience in Software Development Lifecycle quality deliver
- Ability to share and communicate ideas both verbally and in writing to staff, business sponsors, managers, and technical resources in clear concise language that is appropriate to the target audience
- Experience in developing automated test scripts and test automation frameworks
- Experience leading ambiguous situations, dealing with IT issues and coming up with effective solutions to ensure project deliverables on time and within budget.
- Experience with a variety of test tools and software testing practices, including developing, implementing, maintaining and managing manual/automated testing systems and environments
- Experience assessing risk for determining appropriate levels of testing
- Strong collaboration, negotiation and influencing skills
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to work independently and/or as part of a team. Experience working with geographically distributed teams, including offshore
- Maintaining strong vendor relationships while challenging the vendors to meet commitments.
- Extensive hands-on experience using a variety of automated testing tools
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top