Towers Crescent (12066), United States of America, Vienna, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Capital One is seeking technical writers to help document business-critical APIs on our world-class internal and external portals. Your documentation will be the key to empowering internal and external developers to build great apps on top of Capital One APIs.
At Capital One, we think big and do big things. We are a Top-10 bank by deposits, a high-tech company, a scientific laboratory, and a nationally-recognized brand (what's in your wallet?) that reaches tens of millions of consumers all rolled into one. Capital One is committed to building great APIs, and this is a high-impact role that will help move the business forward.
The right candidates will have a love of technology and a way with language - if you're curious and you can write, we can teach you the rest. Preferred candidates will have some experience in a software development environment, some familiarity with one or more programming languages (Java, Python, Ruby, Angular ... take your pick), a comfortable working knowledge of command-line interfaces and general file management and configuration practices, some experience working in an Agile environment, and some knowledge of APIs. Ideal candidates will have all of the above PLUS some knowledge of REST APIs and the API industry in general.
Your job will be to create easy-to-understand documentation, tutorials, and other critical technical material related to Capital One APIs and API-related tooling, and publish it on our internal and external API portals (take a look at our external portal at https://developer.capitalone.com). You will work across teams to gather information on business intent and technical implementation, and use it to create a comprehensive document that makes an API easy for a developer to use. Juggling multiple projects and driving their successful and timely completion is your forte. You welcome technical challenges, and you strive to develop industry-leading products that create a great user experience.
Specifically, you will:
- Design and organize documentation for new and existing APIs (both external and internal), and provide documentation as needed for additional projects (SDKs, sets of business rules, open source projects, internal tooling, etc).
- Coordinate and contribute to meetings with subject matter experts (SMEs) and stakeholders
- Serve as a coach and advisor to internal teams providing their own API (or other) documentation
- Contribute to in-progress Standard Operating Procedures for technical writing within the product and engineering organizations
Help us grow our team into the one-stop shop for all of Capital One's technical documentation needs!
- At least 3 years of technical writing experience
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- 5+ year technical writing experience
- 1+ years experience in financial services
- Experience in Software Development (Java, Python, Ruby, Angular)
- Excellent writing skills: a true facility with the language, a good sense of how to break complex topics into easier-to-understand elements, and a strong ability to teach using the written word. Ability to write tight, easy-to-read guidance that adds nothing extra and leaves nothing out, and reads like a conversation.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills; ability to achieve consensus and keep things moving.
- Ability to work accurately and completely in a fast-paced environment with tight deadlines and changeable priorities
Please send writing samples with your application.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top