Sr. UX Designer, Card Design
McLean 2 (19052), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. UX Designer, Card Design
We're looking for a UX/UI Designer who can work closely with other designers, strategists, developers, product managers, researchers, and business analysts to further our understanding of how to design the best solutions for our customers. This person will advocate for the needs of our customers, strong visual skills, identify opportunities for change, ideate on concepts and lead design from empathy to iteration to deliver human-centered solutions that will help lead our Customer Experience into the future. You'll work across platforms, channels and devices to help design an integrated experience that drives deep satisfaction while supporting business outcomes. From uncovering customer needs and opportunities to optimizing offerings in market, you'll be a critical player on a collaborative team always looking to do things better.
• A craftsperson. You obsess over things like taps, content and form fields to create experiences, services and products that are deeply satisfying. You understand that in a landscape where behavior and expectations are rapidly evolving you always need to be asking why. You'll be leading work through the end-to-end design process, balancing customer insights and business goals, from strategy to shipped product as well as post launch monitoring, enhancements, and iteration.
• Human centered. You crave empathy for those you're designing for, and have demonstrable experience identifying, articulating, and incorporating user needs into your design decisions. You'll build empathy and be a customer advocate to solve for existing problems or exploring and developing entirely new business opportunities.
• A simplifier. You take the complex and communicate it - both visually and in presentations - as simply and clearly as possible. You're able to cut through the noise to understand what's important and inspire that clarity in others. You'll translate user needs, style guides, and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems.
• A systems thinker. As you translate user needs and requirements into elegant solutions for complex problems, you're not just thinking about the task at hand but also about how your design choices scale and fit within larger established systems and patterns.
• A highly competent implementor. You are proficient using tools like Sketch, Invision, and Photoshop, and are able to execute with both speed and quality. You'll be creating experience prototypes at various levels of fidelity to articulate and test user flows, UI design, and/or UI animation using modern tools (e.g., InVision, Figma, Flinto, Pixate, UXPin, etc).
• Collaborative. You enjoy working on agile teams with business analysts, product managers, researchers, developers and design teams to collectively define the best solutions. You'll perform research activities, strategy sessions, ideation, design, and testing of new product concepts. You'll be leading workshops to facilitate co-creation, alignment, and insight of core customer needs.
• Passionate. You are driven to design beautiful experiences that impact people's lives. You make it your business to know as much as you can about the people you are designing for and stay up-to-date on the latest design trends and techniques.
• Have a can-do attitude. You're proactive and excited to produce awesome work. No task is too small or large for you. You are able to work alone or with partners to problem solve and develop clear action and execution plans for a task, keeping your manager informed of progress. You display a positive attitude and are excited to share your ideas with the team as well as listen to those of others.
• A successful juggler. You don't get overwhelmed or flustered easily. You're able to keep track of multiple projects at once, manage your time efficiently and appropriately communicate scheduling with your manager and the broader team.
• A storyteller. You're able to develop clear and persuasive stories about your work that you share with a wide range of audiences, including business partners and stakeholders.
• Detail oriented. You're proud that you've thought through every permutation of your designs, making the development process smooth sailing. Your production files are word and pixel perfect.
• Flexible. You know that projects can adjust at the drop of a hat so you're adaptable and welcome change.
What you'll bring:
• A portfolio that highlights your ability to design digital experiences that cross channels and touch-points. Your portfolio showcases UX/UI artifacts like user flows, screen designs, and journey maps used to articulate your solutions
• Understanding of interface and interaction patterns and best practices for various platforms, including experience working within a responsive design framework
• Understanding of human centered design and UX practices. Interest in partnering with content, strategy, and research specialists to collaborate on solutions
• Experience working within established brand guidelines and style guide. Interest in helping govern digital guidelines and flex system where needed
• Demonstrated ability to work from low fidelity to high fidelity
• Experience creating prototypes that showcase design concepts and interaction patterns
• Ability to clearly communicate your design decisions, tell compelling stories, and craft elegant presentations
• Understanding and utilization of Lean and Agile methodologies
• Proficiency with current design tools (Adobe CC, Sketch, InVision, etc)
- Bachelor's Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Behavioral Science or Experience Design
- At least 3 years of full-time experience with user experience design
- At least 2 years of experience working with Agile or Lean product development teams
- Advanced Degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Design, Behavioral Science, or related field
- 4+ years of full-time experience with UX/UI design
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top