Sr. Software Engineer, Android
114 5th Ave (22114), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Software Engineer, Android
Sr. Software Engineer, Android
Capital One has a history of disrupting, and we are doing it again. We're experimenting, innovating, and delivering really cool stuff to 65 million customers. We love to be curious, to dream, to ask, "What if?" Oh, and we love to write code.
Your commitment to learn new things is every bit as important to us as what you have already done. Maybe even more so because we don't want to be doing the same thing tomorrow that we're doing today. You accept change, want to grow, and evolve into a better member of the team.
What will you work on as a Capital One Software Engineer? Customer-facing web and mobile applications, to highly-available, highly-scalable micro-services, to back-end systems with sophisticated data pipelines all on the cloud!
We are a full-stack, multi-platform, collaborative team with deep experience in design, mobile engineering, and finance. We have a common objective: setting up the next generation for financial success. If you are a passionate, creative, talented Android developer interested in building new and powerful technologies, we look forward to hearing from you soon!
At Capital One, the Android platform is recognized as an opportunity to reach our customers in unique, personal and engaging ways. Nothing is off limits as we explore exciting ways to take advantage of the full ecosystem of phones, tablets, Chromecast, Android TV, Wear, Glass and whatever future platforms Google creates. Our engineers are provided with everything needed to develop the best possible products with the least amount of friction. We operate in small productive agile teams and use the best industry tools to collaborate across teams. This team primarily uses the Kotlin programming language.
- Use Kotlin to develop Android client code solutions that deliver on Product Strategy and adhere to established engineering best practices, design guidelines and principles
- Partner with Software Engineers, UX/UI, Quality Engineers, and Product Owners/Analysts to deliver high performing quality customer experiences that are engaging, purposeful and powerful in their simplicity
- Actively participate in all team agile ceremonies and contributing to ensure that all team commitments are delivered on time and of the highest quality.
- Be an active advocate of the Android platform through both internal and external developer communities
- Working to remain an active learner in all technologies related to Android development (Kotlin, Java, Android SDK, Android Wear, Android Studio, Gradle, 3rd party libraries, etc.)
- Influence and contribute to group discussions and incorporate feedback/communication from broader team
- Mentor junior to mid-level members of the team
- Actively engage with developers outside of the local sprint team across various disciplines (Android, iOS, APIs, Web, etc.)
- Own and lead delivery of major components and platform needs in partnership with senior engineers and Architects
- Grow and provide SME level leadership
- Proficiency with Android Studio Tooling
- Demonstrated investment in Android development knowledge growth through self-study, side projects and/or school/work experience
- Contributed towards an open source project
- Presented coding topics to development peer group internal and external to work.
- Maintains an active public coding presence through GitHub.
- Android sub-system or higher-level construct knowledge (Audio/Video, NDK, HCE, NFC, AOSP, Linux Kernel, etc.)
- Ability to detect and abstract common patterns in code
- At least 5 years of professional coding experience
- At least 3 years of experience with Android development
- 6+ years of software development experience
- 2+ years of experience in Agile and Scrum methodologies
- 2+ years leadiing development activities on a sprint team
- 1+ years with Kotlin is desirable
This is a senior-level position located in New York City, NY. It is permanent and full-time, beginning as soon as we find the right person.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top