Sr. Software Engineer
West Creek 1 (12071), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Software Engineer
Occasionally in your career, an opportunity comes to accomplish something truly unique and spectacular. For about a decade, Capital One credit card has been building best-in-class open-standards based middleware to support our business. We recently made a bold strategic decision to become a trailblazer in both the financial industry and the enterprise technology industry as a whole by declaring that we will reinvent our enterprise using best-in-class open source technology operating in the public cloud.
Right now our card technology team is creating some exciting enhancements for our customer payment experience, and now is the time to join! To make these enhancements, we are looking for a Senior Software Engineer to spearhead new feature development, production support, and dev ops. This role will interact heavily with Capital One's Streaming Data Platform (SDP), and this Developer will get hands on experience with some of the latest technologies including Kafka and Golang.
At Capital One, our Developers utilize Agile Delivery practices and are responsible for end-to-end delivery of micro-services (feature grooming, design, development, testing, and implementation) along with managing and owning the ongoing application maintenance and operations (You Build, You Own).
In this role, as a Software Engineer, you would be responsible for:
- Working with product owners to understand desired application capabilities and testing scenarios
- Continuously improving software engineering practices
- Working within and across Agile teams to design, develop, test, implement, and support technical solutions across a full stack of development tools and technologies
- Bringing a passion to stay on top of tech trends, experiment with and learn new technologies, participate in internal & external technology communities, and mentor other members of the engineering community
- Encouraging innovation, implementation of cutting-edge technologies, inclusion, outside-of-the-box thinking, teamwork, self-organization, and diversity
- Building data pipeline frameworks to automate high-volume and real-time data delivery to our cloud platform.
- Leading and/or mentoring a team of engineers
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 7 years of experience in application development
- At least 4 years of experience in Java and J2EE
- At least 2 years of experience with Spring Framework
- At least 2 years of experience with Java Message Service (JMS)
- At least 1 year of experience using either Amazon Web Services or Azure
- 9+ years of experience in application development
- 1+ year of experience working with Golang.
- 2+ years of experience with Docker containerization
- 1+ year of experience working with Big Data Technologies such as Apache Storm, Apache Spark and Kafka.
- 6+ years of experience in Unix, PostgresSQL and/or SQL Server
- 3+ years of experience in COTS products with strong skills interacting with vendors
- 4+ years of experience in DBMS such as Oracle, SQL server, SQL scripting, tuning and scheduling.
- Area-dependent developer certification (e.g. Sun Certified Java Programmer/Developer, application vendor-specific certification).
At this time, Capital one will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top