Sr. Risk Associate - Business Risk Office
West Creek 5 (12075), United States of America, Richmond, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Risk Associate - Business Risk Office
The Capital One Commercial Banking division services a $50 billion loan portfolio, serving more than 4,100 clients and greater than 35,000 accounts. The candidate will rely on their hands-on deep understanding of Commercial Banking and enterprise payments to provide risk guidance as well as manage operational risk activities directly on behalf of the business and its supporting partners throughout the company.
This role is part of the Business Risk Office team within Commercial Bank (CBRO). The team leads operational risk management for the Commercial Bank. Departmental functions include: policies and procedures, training and awareness, operational risk framework, process identification and standards, control monitoring and testing, operational risk reporting, issue and event management, business continuity management, information security, third party management, risk identification, assessment, mitigation and reporting. The CBRO interacts with internal and external partners for Audit and credit reviews, regulatory exams and compliance assessments and is the point of contact for all second line operational risk management including business continuity, third party management, information security, access management, model governance, SOX and Basel II readiness.
The Role: The Commercial Business Risk Office (CBRO) is the first line of defense managing operational risk across the Commercial Bank lines of business, and its Coverage Officers are accountable for managing all facets of operational risk by providing risk services to our business partners. The Senior Associate will assist the CBRO Risk Officers in their day-to-day activities to help manage operational risk for Commercial Banking.
As a Senior Associate on the CBRO Coverage Team, your role will require excellent communication and interpersonal skills, the ability to work autonomously, the ability to identify areas of opportunity, and a desire to help the Commercial Bank businesses prosper while also adequately managing operational risk.
Strong problem solving, integrative thinking, prioritization and communication skills are essential for role success. Additionally, building win-win partnerships with multiple business stakeholders as well as across CBRO work streams and teammates, while adapting to and managing change in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, are default essentials for this role.
Your role will directly support Risk Officers across a horizontal set of Commercial lines of business.
- Support Risk Officers with ad-hoc deliverables and investigations
- Deliver materials requested in audits and exams with various stakeholders across the lines of defense
- Partner with all commercial business risk office team-mates
- Coordinate and execute operational risk activities for the business
- Provide excellent service to both business partners and CBRO teammates
- As a first line of defense liaison, work with CBRO team leads to coordinate business interactions that add value and optimize efficiency for business leaders
- Execute processes and deliverables that support internal governance processes
- Manage, implement and deliver on a subset of the program deliverables including drafting communications, writing and editing policies, procedures, business continuity plans, audit remediation responses, etc.
- Act as issue manager on all events and issues related to the business, including coordination of remediation activities
- Create, edit and manage multiple facets of business unit risk reporting
- Manage tasks and activities related to proactive risk management initiatives to reduce the residual risk within the business
- High School Diploma, GED, equivalent certification, or military experience
- At least 1 year of experience in financial services
- 2 Years of experience in Risk Management, or at least 4 years of experience in Compliance, or at least 4 years of experience in Audit
- At least 4 years of proficient experience creating and maintaining information in PowerPoint, Excel and Word
- At least one year of experience in commercial banking
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Director, Data Science
Zoe leads a team of data scientists and engineers who collaborate with product designers to develop dynamic data pipelines and machine learning algorithms for customer-facing platform functions.
Back to top