Sr. Manager, Sr. Counsel - Marketing
McLean 1 (19050), United States of America, McLean, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Manager, Sr. Counsel - Marketing
The Regulatory Advisory Team in Capital One's Legal Department is seeking an attorney to review marketing materials, communications and other initiatives including social media, sweepstakes, and other promotions for compliance with consumer regulatory laws and internal standards, policies and controls. This position will report to the Assistant General Counsel, Marketing and will have responsibility for:
(1) identifying and assessing legal risks as direct legal support for Social Media and Corporate Communications initiatives as part of a collaborative and cross-functional team;
(2) acting as the subject matter expert for sweepstakes, contests, and promotions across the company;
(3) consulting on escalated marketing initiatives and questions for all business lines and developing best practices for sustainable marketing review and approval processes;
(4) working with Digital, Brand, Operations, Client Development, Legal, and Compliance stakeholders as the subject matter expert within the Legal Department to address risks, develop creative solutions, and resolve issues related to digital initiatives, Electronic Signatures In Global and National Commerce (E-SIGN), and state Uniform Electronic Transaction Acts (UETAs) and terms and conditions for websites, apps, and other digital platforms; and
(5) developing and updating of enterprise legal standards in these and other areas. This position will entail numerous interactions with creative business partners, other Legal Department subject matter experts, and senior line of business attorneys in a fast-paced environment.
- JD and member in good standing of at least one state bar
- At least 4 years of experience in a law firm or at least 4 years of experience in an in-house legal department or at least 4 years of experience in a federal regulatory agency
- At least 2 years of counsel experience with marketing or at least 2 years of experience with promotions and sweepstakes
- At least 2 years of experience with Unfair and Deceptive Acts and Practices (UDAP) or at least 2 years of experience with Unfair, Deceptive or Abusive Acts or Practices (UDAAP) laws and regulations
- 4+ years of counsel or compliance experience with consumer finance laws, regulations and disclosures
- Experience counseling clients on digital initiatives and/or innovation
- Intellectual property experience in trademarks, copyrights, and right of publicity
- Ability to clearly identify and describe legal risks presented by very detailed marketing materials and present options
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with attorneys, business managers, creative teams, public relations professionals, analysts, project managers, and Corporate Compliance professionals
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top