Sr. Manager of Network Engineering
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Manager of Network Engineering
Capital One is looking for an experienced technical manager with expertise in cloud, enterprise, and datacenter networking technologies to join our team! This is an opportunity to lead a high-performance team that is driving the ongoing evolution of our network infrastructure.
You will collaborate and innovate with smart and passionate people within Capital One to deliver results that have a direct impact on the company's bottom line, and will manage a team of dynamic and talented network professionals who want to learn from your experience and skills.
- Coach and develop a team of highly skilled network engineers responsible for the design, deployment, and support of Capital One's network infrastructure.
- Lead the development and implementation of engineering solutions across multiple disciplines:
- Collaborate with the architecture team to evaluate new technologies and designs.
- Support the migration of legacy applications and systems to public cloud environments.
- Ensure that campus and branch network designs evolve to meet the changing needs of our 47,000+ associates.
- Identify targets for automation to improve operational efficiency and reliability.
- Develop and maintain configuration standards for all routing & switching platforms.
- Perform certification testing of new hardware and software in the lab.
- Partner with operations to ensure the success of new deployments, and ensure that operational feedback is incorporated into network designs.
- Work with the security organization to assess exposure, identify mitigation plans, and ensure compliance with all relevant security configuration standards.
- Engage with teams across the company to support line of business initiatives.
- Own relationships with key network vendors. Drive the development of new technologies, platforms, and features. Track open issues and manage software release schedules to meet lifecycle management and business requirements.
- Drive key initiatives, lead design reviews, and develop process improvements spanning multiple technologies and teams.
Successful candidates will possess:
- Experience leading a high-performance, geographically-distributed technical team.
- Demonstrated expertise with network technologies in cloud, enterprise, and datacenter environments.
- Understanding of strategic business objectives and the ability to drive results towards those objectives.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities in a fast-paced, highly collaborative, frequently changing, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Excellent analytical, communication, and documentation skills with demonstrated ability to collaborate and influence across multiple teams.
- The ability to discuss complex technical issues with engineers and peers, as well as the ability to clearly present relevant information to non-technical audiences.
- A thorough understanding of IP routing protocols including BGP and OSPF, as well as related technologies such as MPLS, QoS, and VPNs.
- Experience leading teams following Agile methodologies using tools such as JIRA or Version One.
- Bachelor's degree or military experience.
- At least 5 years of technology leadership experience supporting a large, geographically distributed network infrastructure.
- At least 10 years of experience with network design, protocols, hardware, configuration, tools, monitoring, and troubleshooting on large IP and Ethernet networks including campus, datacenter, and cloud implementations.
- At least 1 year of experience with public cloud implementations
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or related technical disciplines.
- 2 years of experience supporting hybrid datacenter and public cloud implementations.
- 2 years of experience leading teams following Agile methodologies
- 1 year of experience with large SD-WAN deployments.
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top