Sr. Manager - Cloud Engineering
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Manager - Cloud Engineering
Geek. Nerd. Tech-Junkie. They're all pet-names to us. If you share our passion for all things technology, and are up for the challenge, come dare to dream, disrupt, and deliver! Developing cutting-edge Cloud technology takes the culmination and collaboration of bright, innovative, and talented people, along with forward-thinking leadership. We nurture an environment where people with a variety of thoughts, ideas and backgrounds, all guided by our Shared Values, come together to learn why Capital One is among the "100 Best Companies to Work For."
We are seeking a highly creative and intellectually curious Lead Cloud Engineer who is passionate about Cloud infrastructure and Public Cloud hosting. As part of a team that's leading the next wave of disruption on a whole new scale, you will play an integral part in advancing Capital One's Cloud eco-system and culture of technical excellence. Today we are focused on AWS, tomorrow it will be another public cloud provider. If you are focused on the art of the possible and are not afraid to push the bounds of technology, you want to be at Capital One. In this position you will play a major role in shaping the future for how to quickly deploy applications at scale in the cloud for a Fortune 150 Financial Services organization.
Responsibilities & Expectations:
- Use your winning personality to influence broader Engineering groups in adopting Cloud technologies and processes
- Develop scripts and glue code to integrate multiple software components
- Automate the provisioning of environments through cooking up some recipes with Chef, or through Ansible, and the deployment of those environments using containers, like Docker (and for the love of automation, at least have some configuration management tool through some version control)
- Identify technical obstacles early and work closely with team to find creative solutions, build prototypes & develop deployment strategies, and procedures
- Collaborate with the Line of Business development teams to bring new features and services into production
- Implement patterns for streaming, batch and bulk movement of data across data centers
- Design, deploy and manage HA, secure and scalable Cloud resources
- Design and develop automation workflows, performing unit tests and conducting reviews to make sure your work is rigorously designed, elegantly coded, and effectively tuned for platform performance, and assessing the overall quality of delivered components
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are necessary due to the dynamic nature of collaborations with customers, vendors, and other engineering team, solving complex business problems together
- Display strong operating system prowl and understanding of cloud security principles
- Perform root cause analysis to assist customers with identifying performance issues and suggest architecture solution optimizing solutions
- Evaluate & build different compute frameworks for all tiers and while you don't have to scale buildings, implementing scalable system solutions is required
- We're looking for self-starters, those who can work independently, with and across teams. Establishing smooth running environments is paramount to your success, and happiness
- If you have not figured out yet this place is really running fast and hard. Looking to punch a clock? Turn back. Come here and expect to get things done!!
- Serious geek street cred if you have a robust portfolio on GitHub and/or Open Source contributions of which you are proud to share!
- You're fungible, and for that matter, fun!
- Discerning. You understand the importance of selecting the right technology tool for the task
- Insatiably Curious. You ask why, you explore, you're not afraid to blurt out your crazy idea. You can work at a tiny crack until you've broken open the whole nut
- Automator. You know what continuous integration means, and believe automation is the path to happiness. You know how to script and automate anything and everything, from tests to environment provisioning
- You're not intimated by challenges, even thriving in an unstructured environment where you're empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting-edge technologies
- Work with internal customers to implement data monitoring, orchestration and code deployment
- Serious bonus points for having MacGyver systems instincts
- You love learning new technologies and mentoring more junior engineers
- While a cape is optional, the uniform we're seeking is someone super passionate about their craft, particularly all things Cloud and hyper-focused on delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule. Is this you? If this is your version of a cape, continue to apply
- Bachelor's Degree or military experience
- At least 3 years' experience working in a Cloud environment
- At least 2 years' experience developing automation including scripting experience
- At least 2 years' experience developing applications using Agile principles
- At least 2 years' experience with large-scale infrastructure designs, implementation, and support
- At least 1 years' experience with a formal version control tool (Subversion, Git, TFS, or ClearCase)
- Master's Degree in STEM
- 5+ years' experience with OOP concepts and modern scripting languages, (Python, Ruby, Perl) and frameworks (RAILS)
- 3+ years' using cloud based hosting solutions (AWS-EC2/S3, Azure, Google Cloud)
- 3+ years' with automation tools for server provisioning and Open Source tools (Ansible, Cobbler, Ironic, Chef and Chef Metal)
- 3+ years' experience with large-scale software implementation (high transaction volume, high-availability concepts)
- 2+ years' experience with Linux, server automation and scripting
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top