Sr. Manager, Big Data Delivery Lead
77 West Wacker Dr (35012), United States of America, Chicago, Illinois
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Manager, Big Data Delivery Lead
Do you want to be on the forefront of the next BIG thing in data? Do you love designing and implementing business critical data-driven products and data management solutions? Do you enjoy solving complex business problems in a fast-paced, collaborative, and iterative delivery environment? If this excites you, then keep reading.
Help us use technology to bring ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking as a Sr. Manager Delivery Lead in our Enterprise Data Services team supporting our Big Data & Analytics initiatives in our Cards division.
It is all in the name: Deliver. In this role, you will be responsible for taking a hands-on approach to collaborating with business partners and leading multiple teams to define and DELIVER against a robust technology roadmap for implementing customized cloud ready data products within our Big Data Ecosystem. The right candidate for this role is someone who is passionate about their craft and understands the full technology stack e.g. data-as-a-service, data products, APIs, UI/UX, etc. We are looking for someone who welcomes challenges and is hyper-focused on delivering exceptional results to internal business customers while creating a rewarding team environment.
Developing cutting-edge data technology solutions requires dynamic collaboration of bright, talented people, and forward-thinking leadership. Come see what makes us one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For".
- Partner with customers and stakeholders to understand end user needs and creatively solve complex business problems.
- Design and develop robust, scalable cloud ready data products, leveraging Big Data/Java & Open Source technologies.
- Transition traditional ETL/Data Warehousing solutions to new platforms leveraging Big Data technologies hosted either internally or in the cloud.
- Develop and implement data-enabling software utilizing open source frameworks or projects such as Spring, Angular JS, SOLR, and Drools.
- Utilize various tools & frameworks that enable capabilities within the Hadoop ecosystem (MapReduce, YARN, Pig, Hive, Hbase, Sqoop), and related Apache projects (e.g. Spark and Flink), and NoSQL.
- Define, establish, and execute against strategic delivery roadmaps, actively managing technology risks, issues and impediments.
- Build and lead cross-functional Agile teams to create and enhance software that enables state of the art, business critical data management solutions.
- Motivate teams to solve problems and deliver high quality results in a fast-paced, collaborative environment that's geographically decentralized.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are required due to the dynamic nature of discussions with business customers, vendors, and other engineering and product teams.
- Respect the need for providing end-to-end governance, drive the team to adhere to existing processes, and define new processes and procedures when none exist.
Your experience probably includes a few of these:
- Ability to handle multiple responsibilities in an unstructured environment where you are empowered to make a difference. In that context, you will be expected to research and develop cutting edge technologies to accomplish your goals.
- Proven track record of end-to-end implementation of top notch data engineering solutions leveraging both Big Data (Hadoop Ecosystem) and traditional data warehousing technologies (Ab Initio, Teradata, DB2).
- Data mining, machine learning, statistical modeling tools or underlying algorithms.
- Working with automated build and continuous integration systems (Maven, Jenkins) and test-driven development and unit testing frameworks (jUnit, xUnit, Nose).
- UNIX/Linux skills, including basic commands, shell script ing, and system administration/configuration.
- You geek out over obscure sports statistics. You ponder what drove your streaming music service's algorithms to accurately predict that you would like the song you are listening to. Nate Silver asks you who is going to win the next election. You love data.
- You get a thrill out of using large data sets, some slightly messy, to answer real-world questions.
- You yearn to be a part of cutting-edge, high profile projects and are motivated by delivering world-class solutions on an aggressive schedule.
- You love building and leading teams to deliver world class solutions in a fun and rewarding environment.
- You are passionate about learning new technologies and mentoring more junior resources.
- Humor and fun are a natural part of your flow
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, or Bachelors in Computer Engineering, or Bachelors of Management of Information Systems or Military experience.
- At least 5 years' of professional work experience with delivering Data-Driven technology products.
- At least 2 years' of professional work experience with Big Data solutions.- At least 3 years' of professional work experience within an Agile delivery environment.
- At least 3 years' of professional in People Management.
- Master's Degree in Information Systems, or Master's Degree in Computer Science.- 3+ years' experience with the Hadoop Stack.
- 2+ years' experience delivering Big Data solutions in Cloud Platforms.
- 3+ years' of experience with NOSQL database.
- 5+ years' experience delivering Java base software solutions.
- 5+ years' experience designing, developing and implementing ETL solutions.- 5+ years' experience with Relational Database Systems, or 5+ years' experience with SQL.
- 5+ years' experience developing data-driven software solutions to solve business problems.
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top