Sr. Legal Specialist
Plano 7 (31067), United States of America, Plano, Texas
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Legal Specialist
The Legal Department's Regulatory Advisory - Legal Loss Mitigation Team is seeking a Senior Associate to complete legal assessments of third-party suppliers who provide bankruptcy, repossession/replevin, vehicle remarketing, and collection services to Capital One.
This position is responsible for the testing of accounts as they flow through the legal process, the review of account level handling as it relates to legal and regulatory requirements, as well as the review of third-party supplier documented policies, materials and other controls. The successful candidate is expected to work in a collaborative environment as the role will also require support to the team responsible for the remediation of any test findings and will entail numerous interactions with our third-party suppliers, internal business clients, and Legal Department subject matter experts.
Job Responsibilities will include:
- Completing assessments of third-party suppliers through on and offsite visits
- Working with attorneys to identify findings and determine remediation actions
- Providing detailed written reporting to third-party suppliers and/or internal business clients
- Presenting assessment results identified to internal business clients
- Providing assessment support for Legal Loss Mitigation projects
The successful candidate will have:
- Knowledge of the consumer finance industry, collection laws, and supporting regulations
- Compliance and/or audit experience
- Superior written and verbal communication skills demonstrating the ability to influence others
- Ability to travel up to 20% for on-site vendor site assessments
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills
- Experience interacting with external vendors
- Strong problem-solving and decision-making skills
- Ability to operate independently with minimal oversight
- Ability to build collegial and effective relationships with business clients, attorneys, and project managers
- At least 5 years of experience in the consumer financial services industry
- At least 1 year of consumer finance collection laws and regulations experience
- At least 1 year of auto finance collection and at least 1 year of vehicle remarketing laws and regulations
- At least 2 years of auditing experience or at least 2 years of compliance experience or at least 2 years of quality control experience
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- 5+ years of experience working in, or very closely with, a corporate legal team for a consumer financial services provider, or at a nationally recognized law firm responsible for defending against consumer finance claims
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
Back to top