Sr. Java - Backend Engineer
201 Third Street (61049), United States of America, San Francisco, California
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Java - Backend Engineer
Do you want to work for a tech company that writes its own code, develops its own software, and builds its own products? We experiment and innovate leveraging the latest technologies, engineer breakthrough customer experiences, and bring simplicity and humanity to banking. We make a difference for 65 million customers. We're changing banking for good.
At Capital One, you'll be part of a big group of makers, breakers, doers and disruptors, who love to solve real problems and meet real customer needs. We want you to be curious and ask "what if?" Capital One started as an information strategy company that specialized in credit cards, and we have become one of the most impactful and disruptive players in the industry. We have grown to see ourselves as a technology company in consumer finance, with great opportunities for software engineers who want to build innovative applications to give users smarter ways to save, transact, borrow and invest their money, as we seek to disrupt the industry again.
As a Capital One Software Engineer, you'll work on everything from customer-facing web and mobile applications using cutting-edge open source frameworks, to highly-available RESTful services, to back-end Java based systems using the hottest techniques in Big Data. You'll bring solid experience in emerging and traditional technologies such as: SpringBoot, Java/Scala, Reactive Programming Paradigm, REST, NoSQL databases, relational databases, Spark, Docker, and AWS/Cloud Infrastructure to name a few.
- Java developer capable of designing solutions, writing code, testing code, automating test and deployment
- Overall delivery of software components working in collaboration with product and design teams
- Collaborating with other technology teams to ensure integrated end-to-end design and integration.
- Enforcing existing process guidelines; drives new processes, guidelines, team rules, and best practices.
- Mentor and raise the game or teammates in all areas
- Full participation in the Agile Scrum process including speaking up and giving your opinion!
- Ready, willing, and able to pick up new technologies and pitch in on story tasks (design, code, test, CI/CD, deploy, etc)
- Able to research and learn new methodologies and technologies and bring knowledge to the team
Team Provides Exposure To:
- Back End Skills: JVM (Java - Spring, Spring Boot, Hibernate, etc; Scala) Microservices, Database (MySQL, Cassandra etc)
- DevOps/Platforms: Amazon Web Service (S3, RDS, EC2, Lambda, SQS, SNS, DynamoDB, CloudFormation etc), Chef, Docker, Terraform, Ansible
- DB/Data Platforms: Kafka, Storm, MongoDB, Hadoop, Spring XD/Spring Batch
- Automation Testing: Selenium, Cucumber, ATDD, Protractor, Karma, Automated Performance and Regression/Functional Testing
- CI/CD: Jenkins, Nexus, Artifactory
- Build/SCM Tools: Maven, Gradle, Grunt, Gulp, Git, NPM
- At least 4 years of Software Development experience using Java and databases
- At least one year of experience with build/SCM tools like Maven, GIT, or docker
- At least one year of experience with CI/CD such as Jenkins, Nexus, or Artifactory
- Sun Certified Java Programmer/Developer or Application Vendor-Specific Certification.
- 2+ years of experience with Amazon Web Services.
- 2+ years of experience with No SQL database OR 2 years of experience with Cassandra.
- 2+ years of experience with search engine like ElasticSearch or Solr
- 1+ years of experience with Spring Integration/Spring Batch OR 1+ years of experience with Big Data tools
- Experience with DB/Data Platforms: Kafka, Storm, Cassandra, Hadoop, Spring XD/Spring Batch
- Automation Testing experience: Selenium, Cucumber, ATDD, Protractor, Karma, Automated Performance and Regression/Functional Testing
At this time, Capital One will not sponsor a new applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top