Sr. Experience Designer, Commercial Bank
11 West 19th Street (22008), United States of America, New York, New York
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr. Experience Designer, Commercial Bank
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we're changing banking for good.
The ONE Design team at Capital One is a diverse team of human-centered designers charged with disrupting how people interact with their money, their bank, and their financial lives. We are change agents bringing new design capabilities to 60 million customers. Our work results in more human and valuable service and product experiences.
As a Sr. Experience Designer on our Commercial Design team, you'll work alongside a small team to map out mental model diagrams for:
- Who uses our products and services (both external customers and internal associates)
- What tasks they do daily as a part of their jobs (since this is where they use our products & services)
- How they go about doing these tasks.
- What motivations they have for doing these tasks.
- How they feel about these tasks.
- Create/revise personas based on these findings.
As a part of this Experience Framework project team, you'll lead:
- Research synthesis: creating affinity maps of user tasks and motivations.
- Touchpoint mapping: working closely with our business and product partners to diagram out our many products and user touchpoints.
- Mental model diagram creation: mapping these tasks and motivations to the many ways we do (or don't) support them through our touchpoints.
- Gap analysis: helping pinpoint where and how we can better support our customers through our products and services.
- Work with the Head of Experience Infrastructure to develop a way to visualize this information so that our design teams and business partners can all abstract information in a way that is useful.
- Reaching out to internal stakeholders (back of the office teams) to better understand the rules and process driving the business and use them to inform our work.
You'll also collaborate closely with teammates and business partners to:
- Participate in research with customers, representative non-customers, and internal associates
- Contribute to the development of research plans, goals, and guidelines.
- Teach problem space research to our partners throughout the business, including product management, fellow designers, and more
You can do all of this because you:
- Are a skilled information architect who sees natural patterns and knows how to make sense of complexity.
- Are experienced creating mental model diagrams and have examples to share.
- Have experience conducting user research at all stages, especially in discovery-phase and problem space research.
- Can present and communicate research and analysis clearly and effectively across various organizations in any format required. You're able to sell, support, explain, and simply present research approach to various audience types from sophisticated design experts to non-designers.
- Are a strong collaborator with folks both on your team and beyond it, including partners in design, product management, business strategy, technology, client insights, and more.
- Are a skilled facilitator who has lead research training or has experience in coaching others in discovery research methods.
- A Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 5 years of design strategy, information architecture, and research experience
- Master's degree in design, or related field.
- Experience working in enterprise organizations and/or working across multiple teams and businesses.
- 2+ years of experience integrating UX research into Agile environments.
- Understanding of the Jobs to be Done approach to product development.
Have questions about the role before applying?
Reach out to Aaron Irizarry at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top