Sr Director - Data Engineering
7900 Westpark Drive (12131), United States of America, Tysons, Virginia
At Capital One, we're building a leading information-based technology company. Still founder-led by Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Richard Fairbank, Capital One is on a mission to help our customers succeed by bringing ingenuity, simplicity, and humanity to banking. We measure our efforts by the success our customers enjoy and the advocacy they exhibit. We are succeeding because they are succeeding.
Guided by our shared values, we thrive in an environment where collaboration and openness are valued. We believe that innovation is powered by perspective and that teamwork and respect for each other lead to superior results. We elevate each other and obsess about doing the right thing. Our associates serve with humility and a deep respect for their responsibility in helping our customers achieve their goals and realize their dreams. Together, we are on a quest to change banking for good.
Sr Director - Data Engineering
Sr Director – Data Engineering – Finance Technology
Capital One Finance Technology is seeking a dynamic, strategic leader for our Finance Data Transformation.
About the team
Data is the lifeblood of Capital One. Since its founding, Capital One has been the leader in using data to deliver great customer experiences, and our Information Based Strategy has been the foundation of the company's success. The finance technology team provides various platforms to perform key enterprise functions, including the General Ledger (closing of books), Balance Sheet Management, Treasury Management, Capital Allocation, as well as various regulatory analytic and reports. The finance technology team processes, curates, and analyzes data from entire enterprise in order to enable these finance capabilities.
Great data is the outcome of a great technology architecture, and without proper architectural standards and governance data quickly becomes fragmented, hard to use, and unreliable. It is critical to our business and to finance functions that the finance technology team ensures the timely availability of high quality data.
About the role
As a Sr. Director of Data Engineering, the ideal candidate will provide thought leadership to the organization on the design, development and implementation of sourcing and consuming the data required to support finance data needs. This role will work closely with Capital One's data transformation and enterprise architecture teams, including data design and structure, data integrity and data tools to deliver top-notch data management to the finance organization. This role will communicate with sr. directors and executives, mentor technical staff, and partner with technology vendors to ensure SLA standards are met. The responsibilities of the leadership role are full stack, from the user experience through the decisioning processes and into product fulfillment. The ideal candidate will work hand in hand with product teams to drive iterative technology innovation through open source products in a public cloud environment. A broad spectrum of experience is preferred, from running technology operations to leveraging fast data and machine learning solutions.
- Lead software engineering teams in an agile environment leveraging advanced engineering practices to deliver various finance data needs
- Manage a portfolio of diverse data projects that transform the finance data ecosystem
- Recruit, motivate, mentor, and lead the best application engineering talent
- Develop technology products to enable finance capabilities that maintain the highest availability and performance
- Knowledge, passion for and ability to lead software engineers developing in: Java, Spring, Big Data/Fast Data technologies such as Spark, user interface Technologies such as Angular and React, and DevOps automation, integration, build and deployment Tools
- Establish technical credibility across the broader Capital One engineering community
- Bachelor's degree or military experience
- At least 10 years of experience in data engineering
- At least 10 years in data management
- At least 5 years of experience working with COTS products
- Bachelor's degree in mathematics, economics, engineering, or computer science
- 7+ years of experience in technology for finance, risk or audit management
- 5+ years of experience working with COTS products in finance technology, advanced analytics and/or machine learning
- Experience working with public cloud (AWS)
Capital One will consider sponsoring a new qualified applicant for employment authorization for this position.
No agencies please. Capital One is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, race, color, age, national origin, religion, physical and mental disability, genetic information, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity/assignment, citizenship, pregnancy or maternity, protected veteran status, or any other status prohibited by applicable national, federal, state or local law. Capital One promotes a drug-free workplace. Capital One will consider for employment qualified applicants with a criminal history in a manner consistent with the requirements of applicable laws regarding criminal background inquiries, including, to the extent applicable, Article 23-A of the New York Correction Law; San Francisco, California Police Code Article 49, Sections 4901-4920; New York City's Fair Chance Act; Philadelphia's Fair Criminal Records Screening Act; and other applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations regarding criminal background inquiries.
If you have visited our website in search of information on employment opportunities or to apply for a position, and you require an accommodation, please contact Capital One Recruiting at 1-800-304-9102 or via email at
Meet Some of Capital One's Employees
Head Of Design
Ryan and his team of designers and developers work at The Shop, a combined technology workshop and retail hub, to create meaningful financial products and services.
Back to top